Thursday, January 31, 2008

The most boring post ever written

It is because I am tired. Wicked, wicked tired.

I have to take a sleeping pill every stinking night. The momsomnia started the minute I became pregnant with Shep, and has never left. I fall asleep ok but I can't stay asleep. This is especially ironic because I used to be one of those people who could sleep anywhere, anytime.

Each night I alternate a Benadryl, Tylenol PM or Unisom. I hate it. I feel like a pill popping Liz Taylor but I have just accepted the fact that if I don't pillpop, I don't sleep. And sleepy mommies make mean mommies. So, I take a magic pill like the sad little Hollywood starlet I am.

Except sometimes, like last night, when I thought I was so weary that every fiber of my being wanted to sleep and since it was midnight already that surely I could go au natural, relying only on the drug of exhaustion, and stay blissfully comatose until the Toddler Poke that greets me each morning.

At 4:22am I realized the folly of my ways. And have been reminded of it for the past 15 hours and 40 minutes.

Walker took a photo. This is what a mommy of four looks like on four hours of sleep.


It's ugly. Almost as ugly as my robe, which for the record is exactly as comfortable as it is ugly. It has loved me all day today.

The plans for this evening are to shower, watch last night's Project Runway, pop TWO pills, and crash.

As Mags would say, Nigh-niiigh!



PS - When I posted this, I realized that if I were you, I would instantly try to read the books on the bookshelf behind me. But the photo is too blurry! Every time I go to a new house, I check out their bookshelves. (And yes, I check out their bathroom cabinets too. Happy now?)

Well, lucky if-I-were-you-you, I have a few minutes to kill while Walker bathes the kids (who, by the way, did not nap today either. Here in the Whine Country.) Here are the books behind me. Fortunately this is one of our Smart & Holy shelves so y'all can think we are all smart and holy. (Note to self - keep Vapid Shelves out of photos.) Here goes so you don't squint your eyes. If you cared in the first place. Which you probably didn't.

Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life - Whitney
Celebration of Discipline - Foster
The Spirit of the Disciplines - Dallas Willard (whom I adore, btw)
- we'll call the above section of the shelf "Hope Springs Eternal"
Evidence That Demands a Verdict - Josh McDowell
In the Grip of Grace - Bryan Chappell
Not the Way It's Supposed to Be, A Breviary of Sin - Plantinga
The Enemy Within - Kris Lundgaard (fantastic book about sin. Sin is on my brain - in a good way, not a bad way. Wow, that sounded really bad. I am even going to be posting about sin later. I know y'all can't wait. Anyway, I have been meaning to read this one again. Would start tonight but - did I mention I am tired as sin?)
The Case for Christ - Lee Strobel
The Case for Faith - Lee Strobel
The New Testament Documents, are They Reliable - Bruce (do you sense a theme here?)
Fearfully and Wonderfully Made - Yancey & Brand (I do love Phillip Yancey too)
The Bruised Reed
Breaking Free - Beth Moore. Cuz I got some stuff
When we Get it Wrong - Smart (this one is so so good, about Christian failure)
Searching for God Knows What - Donald Miller (my newest favorite author)
Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller - two copies. Why? Maybe I should make one a bloggy giveaway. Hmmm.
Traveling Mercies - Anne Lamott (I am a little torn over Annie. But the woman can certainly write. And her conversion story is possibly my favorite ever. Oh, by the way, Leah, I still have your Traveling Mercies book. ahem.)
The Jesus I Never Knew - Yancey classic
Where is God When it Hurts - 'nother Yancey classic
The Coming Evangelical Crisis - good scary stuff about the dumbing down of the Church
The Counterfeit Christ of the New Age Movement - Rhodes (should be on the Cults section. Yes, I have a Cults section. It's on the same shelf as the Missionaries Who Got Eaten by Cannibals section.)
God's Neighborhood - Roley/Elliott (about racial conflict and community renewal. Haven't read it yet)
Kingdoms in Conflict - Chuck Colson
Engaging Unbelief - Chang (need to move that one to the left side of the shelf)
Mary Magdalen, Myth and Metaphor - Haskins. Haven't read this one either, but I am a big Mary Magdalene fan, in case you couldn't tell by Kid 3's name
The Search for Significance - McGee
Jesus and his World - Rousseau (archeology and anthropology)

I haven't read about half of these. And yet I still buy more books...My name is Missy, and I am a bookaholic. Hello, Missy.

Ok, Nigh-niiigh!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...