Saturday, January 12, 2008

Shepherd has two mommies

Eva Rose is developing empathy, and combined with her longstanding desire to be Just Like Mommy, her new habit is to constantly refer to her big brother as Honey, Sweetie or Baby.

Overheard from the carseat when they were informed we were headed to Casey's house to play:

Shep: I don't want to go to a girl's house! I want to go to a boy's house! And play with boy toys! Not girl toys!
Eva Rose: Oh, sweetie. I am so sorry. Maybe next time you can go to a boy's house.
Shep: No! I don't want to go next time! I want to go to a boy's house now!
Eva Rose: Oh, honey. I'm so sorry. Oh, Shepherd! Casey's daddy lives there and he is a boy!
Shep: No! I don't want daddies! I want other little boys!
Eva Rose: Oh, sweetie. I am so sorry. I am just so sorry sweetie! Poor baby.

Now the boy had been such a bratty little pill just prior to this that it inspired me to place a Mommy SOS to Casey's mom Christy, because the thought of spending the afternoon listening to him whine was going to push me over the edge. She invited us over for distraction. So his attitude about going to Casey's - who has a plethora of androgynous toys - was not met with any honeys or sweeties from me at all. Nope. He got no love and patience from his mother, who was busy ignoring him while she drove with a very irritated look on her face. He had to turn to his three year old sister for simpatico.

That ouched a little. I felt a twinge of conviction. But you know what? Mostly I was just really thankful that someone other than me was dealing with him.
And doing a mighty fine job of it.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...