Friday, February 15, 2008

Ike - 10 months

Oh, hallelujah, I slept. THANK YOU for the prayers! I am a new person. And a much nicer mommy, for which my children are quite thankful.

I found some old medicine - expired in 2003 (oops). It was prescribed to me for Restless Leg Syndrome. RLS, as it is called now, is kind of the trendy new affliction. I see ads for it all the time now. Back when I got it, I had no idea what was happening to me, I just knew that a few times a year my legs would act as though they had consumed 50 Starbucks grandes and the bizarre feeling would last all night long. It's like your legs keep saying "Gotta dance! Gotta dance!" and the only way you find any relief is to move them, so you find yourself marching around your bedroom at 3am. Pregnancy seems to have cured mine, thank goodness. I can only imagine the comments Walker would feel obliged to make while I did high kicks in the middle of the night.

Anyway, I found this pill bottle with "Legs" written in a Sharpie on the label and googled it, and what do you know, it is also an insomnia pill. Yippee! Really, just what did we do with old prescription drugs before google?

ALAS - no morning devotions. Walker was supposed to wake up at 6am (from his nest on the couch) and drive to College Station to judge an MBA contest at A&M (hook 'em). But he has the flu, poor thing. In spite of that, he got up with the kids and when I woke up at 7:30, frantic that he had overslept, it was already time to get them dressed for school. Ok, next week. Really. Next week.

Enough about me - and on to Ingram.

My sweet baby boy has learned some new tricks this week!! Three very big ones!

First of all, he is pulling up on his knees, so cruising is around the corner:


Secondly, he had his first bath without the baby bathtub, like a big boy, in the kitchen sink:


And finally - the big one - he said Mama. Yes he did! And Dada. And it is possible he said More. He's brilliant, huh?

I am SO glad it appears we have a talker. Shepherd was textbook, totally normal in his language acquisition. Eva Rose was a bit of a freak. She was saying ten words by ten months - I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't listed them in her baby book. Part of it is that, of course, she is a smart cookie. But a lot of it was that Evangelina Ballerina was and still is the most tenacious baby I have ever seen. When Sister wants, Sister gets. Talking makes it easier to get what you want.

And then there's Maggie Belle. The opposite in personality of her sister (thank goodness, because really, one Eva Rose is enough.) Eva Rose will be out of law school before Maggie chooses a major. Not much bothers Maggie. No need to fuss. Hence, Mags has been in speech therapy for several months now. She said her first sentence about a week before her second birthday: Hi Daddy. (Can you say Daddy's girl?) Since then, she's added a few words and phrases, but on the whole, she is still quite delayed.

I am not worried about it; legend is that I did not talk till I was three and obviously I have made up for it. Recently though, Mags has become prone to temper fits, and it is hard to watch her get so frustrated because she can't communicate. So I will be extremely happy if Ike inherits the chatty gene.



Mama. The sweetest sound.

post signature

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...