Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I am richer than Oprah

(Let me start off by saying I feel like dog. I have a sinus infection so bad that every tooth in my head is screaming at me. So I may come off a little grumpy. Cause I am.)

Linda at Second Cup posted today about Oprah and her latest New Age diversion, called A New Earth. I am so glad she did, because I have been thinking that I should post something on it and then poof, Linda took care of it (and that is not the first time this has happened.) Anyway I began commenting and realized that my comment had turned into a blog post, so I just decided to start from scratch over here. If you haven't read her post yet, please pop over and come back here when you are done.

I tape Oprah on the DVR every day. On the whole, I like her show. I love Nate, I like learning about the latest $1000 shoes I'll never buy, and I especially love Dr. Oz. I love how she has turned the country on to reading. I even like her Favorite Things show, vapid as it may be. Oprah is evidently a genuinely nice person. I like her. But I pity her.

Pity the wealthiest self-made woman in America? Yes. Because actually, Oprah is the is the poorest woman in America.

Because I have watched her for so long, I have seen her go through one New Age guru after another. Deepok Chopra, Marianne Williamson, Rhonda Byrne, Iyanla Vanzant to name a few. The latest now is Eckhart Tolle. Within six months, there will be another.

Oprah is constantly pronouncing that this latest book is the one that changed her life. She's constantly searching, and evidently constantly coming up short, because as gaga as she is over The New Earth, it was only a few months ago that The Secret was changing her life. She seems restless to me, and I can't help but be reminded of one of my favorite quotes by Saint Augustine:

Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord,

and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in thee.


My heart is no longer restless. I have found my guru. His name is Jesus Christ. He has been my only adviser for many years now. I am not constantly excited and disappointed by yet another human being. Jesus the Christ is my all in all, my comforter, my wisdom, my peace, my ever present help in times of need. He has all the answers, and he shares some with me regularly. Every time I open his book, in fact. And it only took one best selling book for me to find all this.

I am richer than Oprah. She is worth over $2 billion, but my treasure is in heaven. Oprah owns six homes, but I have a mansion in the Father's house - and it is decorated even better than Nate could have done.

Some of you have probably seen this clip:



(off topic - is it just me, or does that first woman look just like Mrs. Duggar?)

Y'all. Jesus is not "a" way. He is not a nice guy in a toga. He is not a prophet. He is not a path among many. He does not rank in power with "The Universe." He made the darn universe.

Jesus is the only way to Heaven.

No one comes to the Father, except by Him.

This is the good news, and I am not ashamed of it, because it alone has the power to save men and women.

And it is so offensive, isn't it? The gospel is very offensive. It appeared to turn Oprah's stomach. And there have been times in my life that I have been offended by portions of the gospel. It can be a hard pill to swallow, at first. But by confessing my confusion to the Father, and seeking understanding from the only source of wisdom, I have come to love the gospel more than anything in my life - even the parts of it I don't understand, like, or instinctively agree with. Because my God is bigger than my confusion.

Although it saddens me that she leads so many astray, and I fantasize about what she could accomplish if only she quit putting her faith in those who speak to itchy ears and promoted the gospel instead, nothing Oprah has said is anything new under the sun - or under the Son. Most New Age beliefs are simply rehashing the heresy of Gnosticism that plagued the church from as early as the second century. The Church will be fine. My God is bigger than Oprah's gods.

I am not afraid of Oprah per se - but my heart absolutely breaks over something else. Something very Oprahesque.

I will post on that tomorrow.
Part 2 here


post signature

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...