Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Answers

Walker is at an Astros game for a team building outing - ugh. I am so glad I am not working and don't have to go pretend to have fun on my supposed time off with people I already see more of than my own family and friends. Although Walker really does like the guys he works with, the woman he works with and his four little subordinates would rather have him at home right now reading bedtime stories. The game starts at 7:10, then they will shuttle him back here to the boonies, so I am thinking he will be home, when? LATE, that's when.

Moving on.

Thank you all for your questions! Between the comments and a few that were emailed, I should be kept busy for a while. I am going to answer in the order received. Until I decide to go another way.

Here goes:

From Kelly at Love Well (by the way, if you haven't read her My Favorite Story post yet, get ready to laugh. Walker read it last night and was in stitches.)

Q: Since you're there in H-town, which of Beth Moore's studies has been your favorite?

A: Well, I have two answers. The first extended study I ever did with her was called The Covenant Keeper, in the fall of 2000. I have the cassette tapes - yes, the cassette tapes - to this study. I was 30 years old, and at the time my faith was maturing and as part of that, I was dealing with a lot of junk from my childhood and my 20s. Whoa. A lot of junk (aside - I have heard from so many women that about age 30 is when God chose to take them to a whole nother level. Usually painfully. Certainly true for me.) That was an amazing year of refinement in my life, which God kicked off with the BSF study of Romans, and brought full circle with this study. After it was over I listened to those cassette tapes until the message of God's forgiveness and my place as his covenant daughter was just saturated in my brain.

She has never made this into a published study, maybe she doesn't consider it one of her best. For me, however, it certainly was.

My favorite in recent years is Wising Up, the study on Proverbs from last spring, which I attended up until the day before Ingram was born. I had envisioned taking him to the final lesson when he was six days old, but that didn't happen and I attended all by myself, crying, of course. Anyway I called this study Beth Moore Uncut because y'all.

Beth got raw.

She did a lesson on alcoholism that was amazing. Did you know that in Proverbs 18:29-35, the Word of God describes drunkenness to a t? Looky here, from the Message:

Who are the people who are always crying the blues?
Who do you know who reeks of self-pity?
Who keeps getting beat up for no reason at all?
Whose eyes are bleary and bloodshot?
It's those who spend the night with a bottle,
for whom drinking is serious business.
Don't judge wine by its label,
or its bouquet, or its full-bodied flavor.
Judge it rather by the hangover it leaves you with—
the splitting headache, the queasy stomach.
Do you really prefer seeing double,
with your speech all slurred,
Reeling and seasick,
drunk as a sailor?
"They hit me," you'll say, "but it didn't hurt;
they beat on me, but I didn't feel a thing.
When I'm sober enough to manage it,
bring me another drink!

Solomon was a Delt at UT, who knew?

As she pointed out, just about every person has been affected by alcoholism, either by their own addiction or by another person's. Some of us, like yours truly, have been severely affected by it. Yet it is virtually never mentioned in the Church! What's up with that??

And the session on sex - whew. Whew. Beth Moore Uncut. I also loved what she taught about friendship, and one of her lines from the lesson on motherhood haunts me every. stinkin. day. You ready? "You will never be able to discipline your children until you discipline yourself." Oh, ouch.

I think Proverbs is hard to read all by myself and this was a wonderful overview. I had every intention to buy it, but it is only available on DVD for the low low price of $120 (gasp!) If your money tree is blooming, buy it and be blessed. And, if you happen see a humongously pregnant woman in the audience picking her nose, well, she probably would rather not know about it.

post signature

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...