Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Proverbs 32 Woman (aka, the one who got cut)

Does anyone else's house look like this at the end of the day?



This is pretty bad, but not far from typical. I could have done a slide show of the rest of the house, with closeups of the floor and kitchen table, but that would be depressing. For me, at least. For you, it would probably be quite edifying.

It's embarrassing. Truly embarrassing. Which is why I feel the urge to post it on my blog for all the world to see. Because I make sense like that.

Catholics go to confession.
Bloggers go to Google.
Catholic bloggers...y'all just get double forgiven.

Anyway. Sigh. It is one of the most discouraging things in my life - the fact that I am such a slob. I try. I try hard. I can get it clean but it only stays clean about fifteen minutes. I am just Domestically Impaired.

I would love to say it is the kids' fault. And it is true, they are amazingly, impressively unclean.

But, the truth is, I was messy even when I was single. The difference is then I had the time to clean it, and it would stay clean longer. And, when I ate a meal the crumbs stayed on my plate and not my table and my chair and a five foot diameter around the chair and all over my clothes.

The problem is that it bothers me. I have known many a woman who was messy and just fine with it. I am not one of those women. When my house is like this my chest gets tight and my eyes squint and Mommy gets Grouchy.

It happens...a lot.

I am aware that I am probably the only woman at She Speaks who left the house with her husband for a weekend and came home to find it cleaner than she left it.

That husband - who, bless his heart, likes things clean - has only pulled the Submit Card on me twice. The first time was after Shepherd was born when he ordered me to hire a housekeeper every other week.

The second time was after Ingram was born when he ordered me to have her come every week.

(Which, I do realize, makes him The Best Husband On God's Green Earth.)

Is it too much money? Absolutely. But at this season in our lives, we consider it an occupational necessity, like $4 a gallon gas. And I think we should get a tax deduction for it, too.

Laura and her blessing crew come every Friday and like Jesus, they wash away all my sin.
Then Walker keeps it cleansed over the weekend.
Then by Monday afternoon, my works are like filthy rags. Literally.

See how I can work a biblical analogy into that? I am So. Holy.

I just wish I were a better housekeeper.



PS - The Proverbs 32 title, oh, I am a little proud of that one. Kinda wish I had named my blog that! Occasionally, I crack my own self up.

post signature

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...