Tuesday, July 22, 2008

WFMW Hair-nice Holder


How to make a hair bow holder

I have mentioned that I am a little obsessed with "hair nices", as they are called in this house. The problem is that hair nices take up a lot of space. For a loooong time I have seen hairbow holders for sale and thought, "Puhlease. I could make that for half the money."

And, along with most all things that get the "Puhlease..." remark, many moons have passed, kimosabe, many moons.

Last week someone - not naming any names, but you could probably make an educated guess - left the water running in the upstairs bathroom, and the drawers where the hair-nices are kept were flooded out (and the carpet and the light fixture below it, which is one reason why Mr. Wes graced us this week.)

Anyway, this was my impetus to get crackin on the bow holder.

It came out pretty gosh darn cute, if I do say so.


If you would like to make one, here's The Way.

You will need:
- a board or canvas
- crib batting (if using a board)
- fabric
- ribbon (ribbon by the roll is on sale for half off this week at the HL)
- staple gun
- picture hangers

We had our kitchen remodeled last year and have had some cabinet doors hanging around the garage, so I chose one because it was the exact size and I wanted it to be sturdy, as it is going to receive a lot of handling by less-than-gentle little hands.

However, when I was at Hobby Lobby, I noticed they had some 16x20 artist canvases that would work perfectly.

Directions:

I suggest skipping the flooding-the-bathroom step.

Get thee to Hobby Lobby, which, by the way, is probably my third favorite store after Tar-jay and Costco. Take your board with you or pick up a canvas first.

In the fabric section, you have to make a crucial decision. Do you want to use a solid color background and get lots of different fun ribbons, or do you want to use a patterned background and one simpler ribbon?

It's tough one, huh? I know, I know. Fortunately I didn't have to spend hours debating this because I didn't see any patterned fabric I loved, so I went with a plain pale pink calico. After that, I had a good time picking out the ribbon to use. I chose 11 different kinds of ribbon and laid them out on my door, so that I could tell how much I needed of each. This was the best part, because I heart lace and ribbon! (gee, wonder why my girls are so girly.)

Then I spent a lot of time looking at pretty things for my house and imagining all the ways I could get crafty in my fantasy land of The Place Where There Is Time To Get Crafty More Than Once a Year and trying to restrain myself from doing the handmotions to Lord I Lift Your Name on High that was playing over the loudspeakers and then I went home.

Once home, I laid out all my purchases and got busy on Crafty Time 2008.

Since I used wood, I first stapled crib batting on the front. (Try and do it a little straighter than I did.) If you use the canvas, I imagine you could skip this step.


Next wrap the board like a present with the fabric, and staple gun it on.


Lay out your ribbons and scotch tape them to the board, and staple them in the back.


After I hung it, I thought it might have been nice to use ribbon around the edges too, since it doesn't look that pretty from the side.

On the back, nail whatever you want to use to hang it. Personally I like the wire because it gives me a lot more grace when I am trying to hang it.


Hang it up.

I added a ribbon to the top and a bow, which is just tacked to the wall.

Add hair-nices.


Voila.

Later I might add some little hooks for the plethora of ponytail holders and headbands we still have in the drawers


so that might be something for you to think about. Maybe cup hooks?

There you have it.
This little project cost me about $15 and took one Design Star and half a Next Food Network Star to complete, in other words, about an hour and a half of high quality reality TV.

Pop over to Rocks in my Dryer for more Works for Me Wednesday.

post signature

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...