Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

It's Thanksgiving, I mean, officially it is. Because it's like 2am.

Usually we spend Thanksgiving in Galveston. Not this year. I've had a little, well, cloud over me for the past couple of days, and I believe it is because not going to Galveston this week - to the rented home that is now nothing but, well, nothing - has made me a little blue.

I was telling Walker this last night, and he didn't get it, but maybe you will. One of the weirdest things about Ike to me is that we didn't get to see it. I guess I am such a child of the video age. I want footage. I want to watch it, probably over and over, with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat, for it to be real, like I did with the tsunami or 9/11. But the only folks who watched Bolivar Island wash away to the sea are no longer here to tell us about it. The fact that there were hundreds of homes there one day, and the next they were all gone, and there are no witnesses to it - I don't know why. But it bothers me.

I want to feel it. Right now I just feel like I should be packing for Galveston, but, I am packing for Austin instead. But a little piece of my heart is going to be in Galveston this Thanksgiving.

But the rest of my heart is thankful.

I have had crummy Thanksgivings in the past. I know I will have crummy Thanksgivings in the future. But Thanksgiving 2008 will not be one of those. Life is good for us. Our marriage is strong, our children are healthy. Our home has not been washed into the ocean. Our city has not been attacked by terrorists.

Our hearts are weighed down by very little. At the moment. I do appreciate that. So for this, for this year of blessings, I am overwhelmingly thankful.

And I am thankful for y'all, my dear invisible friends. Because I know at least some of you get me, about the Galveston thing.

If your Thanksgiving this year is not a happy one, I pray that in 2009 you will receive a double portion of joy.

God bless you.

Love, Mis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...