Friday, March 27, 2009

Mom to Mom


Okay, mommies, bring on your wisdom for our first Mom to Mom carnival!

The question for today is: What is the best parenting advice you ever received?

Here is one of mine:

The way they treat you at 3 is the way they will treat you at 13.

I don't remember who told me this but it runs through my head pretty much daily.

For instance, Maggie is in her Terrible Threes. And Maggie is also about the cutest thing on the planet. So when Mags crosses her arms, sticks out her lower lip, closes her eyes, looks upward, stamps her size 7 foot and says, "NO!" I want to laugh. It's just cute, that's all there is to it.

Then this phrase runs through my mind and I have an image of a 15 year old Maggie, looking like a Bratz doll, looking me right in the face and saying "NO!" and you know what? Not. Cute. Not even a little bit cute.

Would I ignore backtalk from a twelve year old? Nope. Then I can not ignore it from a two year old. I'd rather nip it in the bud with a toddler than try and change a ten year habit with a teenager. And end up on SuperNanny.

This phrase has given me the strength to discipline one of my children many a time when the urge to blow it off ran deep.

So, what about you? Either leave a link or a comment.

Can't wait to hear what y'all have to say!

1. Sincerely Anna
2. Stephanie
3. Amy @ MomsToolbox (Panel of Mentor Mom advice)
4. Katie
5. Bobbi @ MomE & Loving It
6. Stacey@Not for Profit,but for Joy
7. NIcole @ Life in Progress
8. Carmine@Heilig Family Journey
9. Amy
10. Stephanie @Life with the Ralphs

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...