Sunday, April 19, 2009

Those meddling kids



My son has recently discovered/become completely obsessed with Scooby Doo. He and his sister laugh out loud as Scooby and Co. catch one villain after another. As for me, hearing the theme song and the voice of the never-aging Casey Kasem brings back a whole lotta memories.

My big brother, Jay, and I helped Mystery, Inc solve many a mystery with our mom's best friend's kids and psuedo-siblings, Michael and Shelly. And when we did, we played the game that my own kids are already playing: we chose one of the characters to "be" while we watched the shows, and later when we re-enacted the scenes.

The problem was, that I was the baby. I was the baby of the the pseudo-sibs, I was the baby of the family, I was the baby of the whole dumb neighborhood. I was always the baby. Honestly, it gives me a little sense of joy that since Walker is the firstborn in his family, I am finally the oldest. Never will I sit at a card table again!!

Being the baby meant that I was easily persuaded. Being the baby meant that I was easily manipulated. Being the baby meant that I was flat-out pushed around. So you know what being the baby meant when it came to cartoon and sitcom personification?

It meant this:

Shelly:


Missy:


Shelly:


Missy:


Shelly:


Missy:


or sometimes (huff)


Shelly:


Missy:



And being the baby and having glasses?
Oh girl, you KNOW what that meant.

Shelly:


Missy:


I hated being Velma. Hated it with every fiber of my pre-adolescent being. Velma was not pretty. Velma did not have great hair. Velma always lost her glasses. Velma was even a tiny bit manly.

But even I had to admit, they did have a little reason to cast me as the dreaded Velma.

Missy - 9th birthday.

Sigh.

Jay always wanted to be Shaggy.

I don't want to imply that Scooby Doo has any kind of prophetic powers or anything. But here is a picture of all of us, several years later. Jay's on the left. Now, tell me, just whom does my brother resemble?

Jay, Missy, Michael, Shelly, Billy (Shelly's husband) c. 1990

This was during a very dark period where he did indeed consume his share of Scooby snacks.

Today on Scooby Doo, the beautiful Daphne said, "Fred's background in a traveling musical theater group really helps him with the disguises. And sometimes when we are scared, he will sing songs from Showboat." Then she almost whispered, "It soothes us."

Well, I guess that solves the mystery about why Daphne and Fred never dated when she so obviously wanted him. And, why he wore the ascot.


Which brings us to Michael, who always wanted to be Fred. Again, not insisting that Scooby has the gift of prophecy, but, let's just say that if you are looking for a good interior decorator...I can give you Michael's number.


Scooby Dooby Doo, here are you, you're ready and you're willing. If we can count on you, Scooby Doo, I know we'll catch that villain...


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...