Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cenotes and pyramids and insects, oh my


I was always terrible at math but I will now propose an algebraic formula.

a = the amount of days Mom is out of town
b = amount of laundry piles

if a = >1, then b = infinity.


I am so far behind in my real life vs. bloggy fantasy. But I do want to wrap up Mexico very quickly.


Which shouldn't take very long, because most of our days can be summed up like this:


We woke up around 10am. We ate a gourmet breakfast. We layed by the pool. We read. Jose brought us icy beverages. We ate a gourmet lunch. We layed by the pool. We read. Jose brought us icy beverages. We napped. We ate a gourmet dinner. We went to bed.


Oh my swine flu, it was fantastic.


The resort, Hacienda Tres Rios, is brand new and five star, but because it is not all the way open and there is still some construction going on, the Naptimers could actually afford it. If you are looking for an amazing vacation at a good price, book now, sister, book now. They are even doing a "kids stay free" special.


It is on a nature preserve, which has something called "cenotes", which are collapsed caves full of fresh water.


Um, cold fresh water.


You get in there with a thingy around your waist to keep you afloat, and snorkle from the cenote, down a stream that looks just like The River of No Return at Astroworld (shout out to my Houston girls!) So beautiful. You just float as the current carries you down to the ocean. It was truly magical.

Then, at the end, you climb out and guess what you see to your left:

and to your right:


To where, of course, you retire and ask Jose to bring you an icy cold beverage.


We also ventured out one day to Tulum where we saw lots of ruins


and lots of iguanas


and down below, between the cliffs, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.


And for the record, in my early twenties, I was on a quest to personally visit all the best beaches in the world, so I do qualify as an expert in this field.


It was very sweet of the resort to do things to make us feel at home, like sprinkle rose petals on our bed.


Because I do that every night. You too?

Uh huh. Right after this guy comes for dinner.

Speaking of dinner, there was one traumatic episode. On our last night, we were served a specialty of the house.

In this little empanada were some delicately sauteed, beautifully seasoned


CRICKETS.

Yes. Cricket tacos. Um, um.

Walker popped his right in ("crunchy") but I couldn't do it. I tried, I summoned up every thing I had in me - but then I made the drastic mistake of cutting mine in half. When I did, a little leg fell out and, well. That was the end of that.


Could you have done it??? What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...