Monday, May 4, 2009

I got nothin, but I've got a question



Another round of the Mom Carnival:

Playdates. How do you do them?

Up until now, I have had complete control on choosing my children's friends, and it has been a joyful time. It's ending. As Vicki Iovine says, I am entering the stage of life where instead of choosing my children's playmates, they are about to begin choosing mine.

My kids are getting to the age where they are being invited over (begging and pleading) to visit other kids' homes. And I am in unchartered waters.

I thought I could rely on my gut, you know. Use my maternal instinct to discern if a home is okay for my child to visit. When they have gone to a playdate, I have hung out with the other kid's mom at school, birthday parties, and the like to get a reasonably strong vibe that she was Nice Normal Surburban Mom.

But we have had two situations already arise that have scared the bejeebers out of me and made me realize I am very naive about this type of thing.

First, my daughter went to play at a little girl's home, and later I found out that the little girl had 12 and 13 year old brothers. Okay. I am sure they are very nice boys. But what if they are not?

Another incident happened that I won't go into details regarding - but the gist of it is, the mom, whom I had hung out with on several occasions, turned out to NOT be someone I will ever let my child be with ever again - especially not in a car. The what-ifs of this particular situation has scared the life out of me and left me seriously paranoid.

I don't want to lock them up in a box - as tempting as it may be. But I have to figure out some guidelines.

So, the Rookie Mom is asking. How on earth do you handle playdates with people you don't know very well? Help me please!!

Either link up or leave a comment.

Thanks mommas!!!

1. Lynn
2. Lynn
3. Three Loud Monkeys
4. danielle-laryn

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...