Monday, July 6, 2009

Oh mah gah, so totally over the hill


I heard on the news today that the Sony Walkman turned 30 years old. Coincidentally, Walker and I just quit calling our iPods 'Walkmans', um, like, last month.

The Walkman was invented in 1979, and introduced in America in like, 1980. They cost like - for real - $200. What-ev-er. But that totally explains why my mom never bought me one, which was so totally bogus.

It also weighed like a pound, which made it totally hard to use when you jazzercized to your Jane Fonda videotapes on Betamax.

I did get a cheaper knock-off Walkman for my 14th birthday party, which was an awesome boy-girl dance party held jointly with my BFF Meredith. It was way totally cool. We had like, a DJ and a cookie cake and everything.

This was me. Oh, mah gah.


I am so sure, you totally want my twist-a-bead necklace.
And my Pat Benatar mullet.

I also got a BIG stellar stereo from Santa that year (along with, apparently, a book about Prince Andrew, he was so fine, and some Junior Harlequins - gag me with a spoon)


(you totally want my rentals' grody orange carpet) and that stereo was like totally awesome because I could then tape all the songs I wanted off of 79Q or 93Q and make myself a tubular mixed tape to play on my fake Walkman. I got so, so totally awesome at taping the songs without the DJ's voices, which was like totally not easy. Seriously. For real.

And if I still had that mixed tape, it would have had these excellent tunes:
  • Goody Two Shoes, Adam Ant
  • Hold Me Now, Thompson Twins
  • Cruel Summer, Banarama
  • Hard To Say I'm Sorry, Chicago
  • Tainted Love, Soft Cell
  • Total Eclipse Of The Heart, Bonnie Tyler
  • We Got The Beat, Go-Go's
  • Don't You Want Me, Human League
  • Somebody's Baby, Jackson Browne
  • Come On Eileen, Dexy's Midnight Runners
  • Let's Dance, David Bowie
  • The Safety Dance, Men Without Hats
  • Always Something There To Remind Me, Naked Eyes
  • Too Shy, Kajagoogoo
  • Our House, Madness
  • All Night Long, Lionel Richie
  • What About Me, Moving Pictures
  • True, Spandau Ballet
  • Shout, Tears for Fears
  • Against All Odds, Phil Collins
  • Missing You, John Waite
  • Here Comes The Rain Again, Eurythmics
  • Almost Paradise, Mike Reno and Ann Wilson
  • Think Of Laura, Christopher Cross
and, fer sure, this one. Which is like, my like, theme song.

So, like, what would be on your middle school mixed tape?
Totally leave it in the comments, okay! That would be awesome!

Stay sweet!!
F/F!

LYLAS,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...