Monday, August 24, 2009

I didn't cry

Maybe because in my mind I always pictured me dropping my firstborn off and walking away alone, while the theme from Cats swelled in the background. But then last night remembered that I had these three other kids I would be schlepping along with me.


Maybe because last week at Meet the Teacher he met a kid named Dylan - Dylan who was wearing the very same Monster Jam t-shirt that Shep has - and he cared way more about finding his new buddy than hugging his old mommy.


Maybe because he was acting a little bratty when I wanted to take his picture with his new teacher.


Maybe because when I tried to talk to him at his new shiny desk, he looked at me and said, "Mom, you have to go. You can't stay here."


All I know is that in all my visions of this day, I didn't expect this to be my inner background music. As I walked away. Un-alone. Lugging a 30 pound toddler into the 98% heat and humidity.

Once again...reality trumps fantasy.

And once again, the reality was better.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...