Monday, September 14, 2009

I dare you to click

I am hypothyroid. (Thanks, Granny Stranger, for sharing, I think it's time to ring up your groceries now.) No, wait, I have a point.

There are two kinds of thyroid disorders. One kind - we'll call it The Good Kind - makes you hyper and skinny. Then there's The Bad Kind which makes you fat and sleepy and grouchy as heck.

Guess which one I have?

For the past week, I have used up my Annual Allotted Husband Nag Allowance (yes, we do have one, but Congress keeps decreasing it) and I want to sleep, oh, 18 hours a day would be fine, thanks so much.

So yeah, I am acting like I am pregnant. Which I am not, let me state v e r y c l e a r l y.

Why such a pox to fall upon my house? Because my medicine, Armour Thyroid, the medicine that keeps me sane and awake, is made from dessicated pig hormone (I love to say that) and that is being hogged (get it, hogged) by the manufacturers of the swine flu vaccination.

Don't get me started on the stupid MILD swine flu again...

I drove up to CVS last week to pick up that and my other cadre of grandma meds (it all starts to go downhill at 30, girls, verily verily I say unto you) and was told it wasn't there.

"Eh? Pardon? Como? Come again?"

"No ma'am, we don't have any, and none of the other pharmacies do either."

(Heavy blinking and staring.)

"Well...when...will...you...have it?" Blink, blink?

"No idea. It's backordered. No idea."

I drove away in a haze. Which was to become my new state of mind without my beloved dessicated pig hormone.

It was very much the way I used to feel when we had our phone, cable and internet (aka, our life) from a certain company that starts with a C and ends in a T with an o and an m and and a c and an a and an s in the middle, and one or all of those services would go out for a week or three and the answer from the customer disservice reps would be, "Doh, I dunno when it'll come back" and then they'd scratch their butts. (I couldn't see it, but I knew it.)

My response would fall along the lines of BUT WE LIVE IN AMERICA. THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN IN AMERICA. LAND OF THE FREE, HOME OF WHATEVER I WANT WHENEVER I WANT IT!! MY FOREFATHERS GAVE THEIR VERY LIVES SO THAT I COULD HAVE UNINTERRUPTED CABLE AND HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS!! and then I would fall to the floor in a fetal position and rub ashes on myself until the Bravo Network was restored.

My doctor and the pharmacy communicated - which took a good five days - and an alternative was prescribed. I picked it up today. It should begin to work soon and Sweet Alert Missy will return. Well, to the extent that she ever existed, anyway.

So, in the midst of this health care debate, I have been allowed to find out a bit of what it is like to know that there is a tiny pill out there that will change everything, and yet not be able to obtain it.

Temporarily.

Last week I read an article which discusses what happens when more serious medicine is unavailable. When I tell you the title, trust me, you are going to find a million other things to do other than click over to read it.

I am going to challenge you to go ahead and read it. I am challenging you with the same logic I used on myself when I was a Child Advocate and had to read court cases which detailed sexual abuse suffered by little children: if they can live through experiencing it, then I can certainly live through reading about it.

You ready? Your pointer finger on the trigger?

What Will Become of Africa's AIDS Orphans?

Ew, told ya. Yucky stuff.
Come on, click. You can do it.

I would like to bury my head in the sand and pretend that this doesn't exist, because I can. But if I call myself a Christ follower, then intentional ignorance regarding the Least of These just won't cut it.

"What did you do to help the widows and the orphans, Missy?"
"Oh, wait, God, that was a command? I thought you were just having a moment...well, I prayed for Mother Theresa several times, and I bought a gift off the Angel Tree, and one year I made a food basket at Thanksgiving...wasn't that enough?"


Maybe that's enough.
Maybe it's not.

I am not trying to get all in your business about how we are to respond to issues like orphans in Africa, or in America, or the poor and the hungry and the medicine-less.

I will leave that to someone else, who has written a book that is causing me to rethink most things in my life, and who is on my husband's bad list because now I typically want to discuss The Deepest Issues Possible at about 11pm when he just wants to go to sleep.

The good news is, All Access is hosting a giveaway of the leaders' guide to the book.

And the even better news is, I get to interview her shortly for this here blog (as soon as my meds kick back in, I'll jump up and down.)

Go sign up for the giveaway, and if you don't win it, try and get your hands on the book or the bible study anyway, because I believe that God will use it to change your heart and conform you more to the image of Christ.

I double dog dare you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...