Monday, September 28, 2009

Missylaneous Monday

You know how you can learn one simple little household tip that will change your life?

I've gotten several lately. Have blog will share.
  • When we would take the trash out of the kitchen trash can, the smell could knock you over. Why? There was mostly just paper that went in there and it was emptied at least once a day? Unending mystery. I bleached it regularly, I Lysolled the heck out of it, still stunk. I put some sheets of newspaper - the sports section, to be precise - in the bottom of it and VOILA. No more stinky trashcan.
  • I read that newspaper will absorb the odor in shoes too - and FYI, at age 6 your son's feet start to stink. Gonna try that next.
  • Donna Otto taught me this one: line your fridge shelves, drawers, cabinets, etc with cheap plastic placemats (hello dollar store) that you cut to fit. So easy to pull out and clean.
  • In my ongoing mission to reduce chemicals, I read you can use vinegar instead of JetDry in the dishwasher. It works!
  • I also use vinegar now instead of fabric softener. Because I have a front loader Whirlpool Duet and you can't actually put Downey in the Downey dispenser or else the whole thing gets mildewed and stinks which is the stupidest thing ever especially since that dryer is one of the most expensive things in our home - I will just stop now because I could go on and on and on - just use vinegar.
  • WD40 gets crayon off of walls. Hand sanitizer gets Sharpie off of paint. Hallelujah.
  • French Onion Soup is one of the easiest things you can ever make and also one of the tastiest. Here ya go:
French Onion Soup

4 onions, sliced thin
1/4 cup butter
3 cans beef stock
2 cups white wine
1 t. Worcestershire
salt & pepper to taste
french bread and Swiss cheese slices

Saute onions in butter till yellow. Add stock and bring to boil. Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 30 min.
To serve, put a chunk of bread in the bottom of the bowl, slice of cheese on top, then ladle the soup on top of that. Presto yummo.


Got any amazing life changing tips? Lay 'em on me.

Oh - one more thing - I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society last night - (deep sigh.) Treat yourself to this book. So, so dear. Haven't loved a story so much in such a long time. When I finished it I kissed it - literally - and laid it on my nightstand. I kissed it. Literally. Kissed it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...