Monday, November 23, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Us

Seven years ago today, I married my best friend.

Literally, I am not just being cliche. He was my best friend, my "straight-gay friend", who replaced my gay-gay friend and surrogate brother Tony, whom I had palled around with since high school until he moved to LA. Walker was just as funny and fun as Tony. Only thing lacking was his decorating skills. (I still miss Tony's decorating advice every time I have to pick out paint.) In fact Walker and I hung out so much and did so many fun things together that my mom had it in her head that Walker really was my Tony replacement, in every since of the word, so when I told her I was in love with Walker, her first response was, "but isn't he gay?" Not based on his personality, she had only met him once. Although if you met Tony, you might not know how well he can rearrange a room right away. Anyway, Mom was wrong, Walker can't pick out paint to save his life, I have four babies to prove it.

But I digress.

Seven years ago was the very best day of my life.

Truly it was. I have had four other very important days since then. But they weren't the best days. If you get down to it, something really wonderful happened on each of those other four days, but the days themselves weren't anywhere near as fun as my wedding. And had I not had four big glorious needles in my spine, those four days wouldn't have been any fun at all. Plus I much, much preferred my wedding dress to a hospital gown. Most importantly, without this day we are celebrating, the other days would never have come to be. Which brings me back to my original point: my wedding day was the best day of my entire life.

Seven years ago, I walked down the aisle and found my soon-to-be-husband with tears running down his face.

I hadn't expected that at all. In all my many (many, many) visions of my wedding, I never expected the groom to cry. I always expected me to cry, which led to paranoia about black mascara stains on white besequined bodices. When I saw him crying, I was so shocked, it made me giggle. That plus the joy I felt at marrying my best friend - my best straight friend - caused me to giggle throughout the entire ceremony. Which probably was some kind of foreshadowing: my giggling, him crying. Tee hee hee.

Seven years ago today, I giggled "I do."

I still do baby.
You're the most wonderful thing to ever happen to me.
Scratch, scratch.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...