Friday, January 15, 2010

The Munchkin Soup Lady Cooks

To tell the truth, I have felt like anything I want to blog about is just going to sound so trite and dumb and ridiculous considering there is so much suffering going on in Haiti right now.

So all I can really do is discuss food.

My friend Carolyn sent me an email last week that kind of went like this: "Missy, I need some soup recipes, and since you are the Soup Lady, can you share some?"

And I thought, Moi? The Soup Lady? My word, a kinder title has never been bestowed upon moiself! (I know I just sounded way Miss Piggy.)

(The only thing kinder said to me all week is when my pilates teacher called me Munchkin today whilst she searched for a smaller ball for me. Now, there was a time, when Munchkin might have rubbed me the wrong way. But that was four babies and a good case of diastasis recti ago.)

I shall accept with honor and pride my title of Soup Lady. And I shall now share some of my favorite recipes because y'all, it's soup weather with a capital Weath.

Missy's The Soup Lady's French Onion Soup

4 onions, sliced thin
1/4 cup butter
3 cans beef stock
2 cups white wine
1 t. Worcestershire (more, more, more!)
salt & pepper to taste
french bread and Swiss cheese slices

Saute the onions in buttah. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 30 minutes. To serve, put a hunk o' bread in the bottom of the bowl, a slice of cheese on top, and ladle the soup on top. OH MY WORD IT'S SO GOOD.

PS - I made this last night and all we had was red wine. It was good, but different. Walker loved it but I prefer the white.

PPS - before I met Prince Charmin, this one was filed under Impress the Boys.


Cheesy Potato Florentine Soup,
aka Frog in a Blender


This recipe was originally from Cooking Lite but I have tweaked it because honestly, leeks are not normally in my fridge while the rest of this stuff always is. It is so fabulous. My kids all loooooove this soup. And I could eat the pot. Ergo, I always double this recipe.

butter
2 cups thinly sliced onion (or leeks - as if)
2 cups frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
1.5 cups water
salt & pepper
16oz chicken broth
1 10oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1 cup shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk
dash of Tabasco
Saute the onions in butter till clear. Add the hash brown potatoes and next 5 ingredients (potatoes through spinach). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Here comes the part I hate: Place half of potato mixture in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Pour puréed potato mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture. Return puréed potato mixture to pan. Stir in cheese and milk; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated and cheese melts. Serve with some decadent bread.

Crockpot Tortilla Soup

1 carton chicken broth
4 chicken breasts (shred before serving)
1 can tomato sauce
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can Rotel or another can of tomatoes*
2 cans beans (I used black and pinto)
1 onion, diced fine
1 can corn, drained
1-2 T garlic
1 T chili powder
2 t cumin
2 t pepper
1 t salt

cook on high 4-5 hours
top with tortillas, avocado, cheese
* I love my Rotel, but my children couldn't handle the spiciness. Sissies.


So Easy You Should Be Ashamed Potato Soup

1 16oz bag frozen shoestring hashbrowns
1 C chopped onion
1 can chicken broth
3 C water
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 C milk
salt & pepper

Combing hashbrowns, onion, broth and water and simmer 30 min - Stir in canned soups & heat thoroughly. Yum. Embarrassed, aren't ya?


Pesto Chicken Soup
from Desperation Dinners
not that I'm ever desperate around dinner time, oh no, not moi.

2 skinless boneless (do I really have to say that?) chicken breasts, in bite size pieces
1 cup frozen chopped onions *
28oz chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
Broken spaghetti - about 1/3 a package
1 t Worcestershire sauce
minced garlic to taste
1/2 cup half-n-half -or- I use 4 oz cream cheese because of its permanent residency status in my side by side
1/4 cup prepared jarred pesto
salt and pepper

Saute the chicken and onions in olive oil. Add the broth, cover and bring to a boil. Add tomatoes, Worcestershire, spaghetti, and garlic and reduce to simmer. Cook at a slow boil till the chicken is cooked through (about 6 minutes.)

Remove from heat. Stir in the white stuff and pesto.

* I deplore chopping onions. I just discovered frozen chopped onions a couple of years ago and it has CHANGED MY LIFE.


Minestrone

To give you an idea of how old this recipe is, I got it from Cosmo. Cosmo, y'all! I wouldn't let that raunchy rag in my house now! But in college I thought it was cool and oh-so-grownup. Things have changed, thank you Jesus. Despite its slatternly roots, I have never had minestrone in a restaurant that was as good as this one.

2 cups beef stock
3/4 cup beer or wine
4 carrots, sliced thin. Thinly.
medium onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
1 cup chopped cabbage*
1 can diced tomatoes
1-2 can(s) Italian green beans, drained
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed because they are so slimey when they come out of the can blech
canned (or fresh) sliced mushrooms - you decide how many, mushrooms are very personal
1/2 t. rosemary
3/4 t. chili powder (weird, huh?)
1/2 cup thin spaghetti
Parmesan cheese
Garlic bread, of course!

In a large pot combine everything but the beans and spaghetti. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add both the beans and break the spaghetti into about 1 inch pieces (you better get out your ruler and measure it EXACTLY) (just kidding) and cook till the spaghetti is al dente.

It's so good and your house smells fabulous now.

* You're gonna have lots of cabbage left over, so plan another recipe with it for tomorrow. Like the way my momma makes it/God intended it, cooked on the pot with bacon grease and onions...mmmmmm.


I feel better now, thanks y'all. And the vanilla shake that Walker just went to get me from McDonald's and the premier of Big Love is about to make me feel even better.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...