Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Reading the Bible in 90 Days - My Top Secret Trick

You may have noticed that since I started reading the bible in 90 days, the blogging has been a little lacking. And no, I am not all the way caught up - but I'm doing okay. I've read far, far more of Genesis than I had read by January 5, 2009, I'll tell you that much.

And I can't believe I didn't tell y'all this before - because this is a huge fantabulous method I have for reading the Old Testament.

Ya ready?

I read The Message translation.

Last year when I resolved to, um, read the bible thru in a year, I decided to read The Message. It was like reading the book for the first time. So many things jumped out at me that I didn't remember reading before, even in books I had studied. (Like Korah - I am still not over how I didn't know about Korah before. And how often I think about Korah now. Poor Korah.)

The Message also makes it easier to skim certain parts, like much of the Book of Numbers. Because I know this may shock you, but lots of Numbers? Is numbers. The Book of Numbers is God's gift to nerds.

If you don't have The Message, I highly recommend you purchase one. I don't use it for in depth study (for study, I use my NET or ESV) and when I read the New Testament I reach for the comfort and familiarity of my NIV. But for normal reading - especially if I want the Word I have read so many times to sound fresh and give me a new insight - which is frequently when I am reading the Old Testament - I grab my Message.

The Message is also a great teaching tool to use with children, youth, Aggies, and anyone for whom English is not their first language.

If I were to buy one now, I would get this NIV/Message Parallel Study Bible. I wish I had seen this before Christmas, I would have asked Santa for one.

Are you convinced yet??

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...