Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Most Radical, Most Awe Inspiring, Most Earth Shattering Thing Ever Put to Paper

Another post from Walker. Who is becoming a bit of a regular contributor around here. Welcome to the wacky, ADD brain who shares my life.

While anyone who know me would never say that I am the brooding sort, I do have my moments of pensive reflection, mostly happening while I am driving. These reflective periods often center on reccurring topics and issues.

Some of these topics and issues include:

1) Could I ever truly kill someone in combat? Could I ever be a soldier?

2) If I ever seriously started an aggressive weight-lifting regimen could I get huge and ripped beyond belief? (Caveat: I never said the topics and issues I dwell upon during my brief, fleeting moments of personal reflection weren’t stupid and vain.)

3) I wonder if I were born around the turn of the past century, and I didn’t have good religious instruction, if I would have become a committed Communist?

4) If I could go back in time and live an era as a fly-on-the-wall, what time would it be? Mine would be to live in Hell's Kitchen, New York during the punk/NewWave scene of the late 70’s-early 80’s. Blondie, the Talking Heads, the Ramones, Marshall Crenshaw, the early Prince shows at the Palladium. Maybe I would have bumped into pre-fame Madonna and talked her out of Kabbalah for life?

5) Wouldn’t be awesome to live someplace with endless horizons and gently rolling prairies? Someplace quiet, quaint, and temperate? Someplace like South Dakota or Iowa?, and lastly,

6) What is The Most Radical, Most Awe Inspiring, Most Earth Shattering Thing Ever Put to Paper?

#6 is what I want to dwell on today.

What is The Most Radical, Most Awe Inspiring, Most Earth Shattering Thing Ever Put to Paper?

Think about that for a second. What words, written by the human hand, have had the most profound impact on the course of human events? What lines of prose or scribbled letters is the most amazing thing ever chronicled?

Would it be political? Would it be religious? Meta-physical? Would it be a poem or the lyrics of a song? Would it be trite? Would it be all of the above?

I think if you were to get a random selection of thoughtful, educated humans in the same room and asked them this question you would get a variety of answers.

Some might look at you with a baffled expression unable to come up with anything at all. Probably a majority, sadly.

Some might suggest items like this:

“Give me liberty or give me death!” – Patrick Henry (patriotic and stirring, a quote that foreshadowed the dawn of the Great American Experiment)

“From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.” – Karl Marx (the impetus for vast social change movements across the globe)

In truth, there was only one Christian, and he died on the cross.” - Friedrich Nietzsche (a radical quote that encapsulates the move towards atheism during our modern age)

“There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger” – from the Quran (the central belief of Islam, a religion with one billion followers)

"Ah, beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems..." - Home Simpson (this is just a funny quote.)

I have thought long and hard about Question #6.

Here is what I think is ”The Most Radical, Most Awe Inspiring, Most Earth Shattering Thing Ever Put to Paper”:

Are you ready?

Wait for it….wait for it…

Here it is:

“Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.” – Galatians 4:6-7

Read that portion of Scripture a few times, if you could indulge me. Let it sink in. Here we have the CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE, God Himself, telling the world not only does He consider us to be beloved children, children who are free to call him “Father”, but that we were also once slaves, but are now sons of this very same God.

NOT ONLY THAT, THOUGH, we are LITERAL CO-HEIRS OF ALL CREATION WITH GOD!!!!!

Talk about going from Zero to Hero.

What other thing could possibly compete with this? Not even any other scripture in the Bible!

If you were to analyze this quote in a comparative religion class at Harvard it would stick out like a radioactive pineapple hanging from the ceiling covered in glitter.

Galatians 4:6-7 is simply an unbelievable statement, and yet we can believe it, for God put it in the Scriptures for us to believe.

So, your turn.

What do you guys think is the most “
The Most Radical, Most Awe Inspiring, Most Earth Shattering Thing Ever Put to Paper”?


-Walker

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...