Monday, April 5, 2010

It is well, it is well with...


Easter is a very important day in our home. Not only because we celebrate our risen Savior who died to take away the sins of the world and was resurrected so that we may have eternal life. There's that.

But there is another cause for jubilation. Not quite as important as salvation, no. But close.

Sisters.
White shoe season is upon us.


And if you had already worn white shoes before yesterday, I am here to testify that Jesus died for that sin.

But the time has come to repent.

I am raising my daughters to live and die by the Law that dictates that white shoes are to be worn only between Easter and Labor Day. Eva Rose, who at the age of five takes fashion very, very seriously, takes this fashion precept very, very seriously.

Last week we were at that dreaded den of iniquity, WalMart, when suddenly I heard her gasp. Her eyes were wide with fear. "Mommy!" she whispered. "Look!" and she pointed to a woman in white flats. In March.

Eva Rose shook her head. I shook my head. I said softly, "All we can do is pray for her, baby," and steered her eyes away from the tragic sight before it caused any psychological damage.

On Saturday, we went to an Easter egg hunt, and Eva Rose asked if she could wear the white sandals she has been pining for to the hunt. "Well," I acquiesced, in a moment of weakness. "I guess it would be okay, since it is really like Easter. We'll pretend it is Easter."

She stared at the shoes, then put them aside sadly, and pulled out her silver ones instead. "I can't. I'm afraid I'll get in trouble."

She had this crazy notion that the Fashion Police might write her a ticket if she got caught in them. I just don't know where she got that idea from. But I beamed with pride at my little prodigy.

It's true that one must tread very carefully with white shoes so as not to look like Cousin Eddy. I know half of y'all are saying, "I would never wear white shoes anyhow" and I had been in your shoes for years after my Princess Di white flats that went so perfectly with my Laura Ashley floral dresses went out of style.

But then I found these cuties at a very exclusive little boutique and I have looked forward to resurrecting them every Easter Sunday since because they really do look fantastic with a springy sundress.


I do not, however, own anything joyfully referred to as Clappy Shoes. But someone in the house does. And someone was mighty excited that she FINALLY got to wear them yesterday.


If she clicks her heels together three times and says "There's no place like DSW" I don't know what will happen but I'm coming with.

But alas, with shoe joy, sometimes there is also shoe tragedy.
Yesterday we had a taste of both.

Each year my kiddos wear sailor outfits for Easter. And each year we try to get a halfway decent family photo of them wearing them.


Some years are more successful than others.

Sadly, this year was Ikey's first year to grow out of his sailor suit. He did look very, very spiffy in his big boy outfit because yesterday also happened to be his THIRD BIRTHDAY!


And he also looked very grown up. Sniff.


Except for one thing.

Because we were (as usual) running late to church, I had thrown Ike's shoes in the car to put on in the parking lot.

When we got to church, there was only one yellow croc to be found.

However, as there often is, there was an extra pair of shoes lying on the floor of the van.


Pink shoes. Pink Barbie shoes.

Forgive me, for I have sinned. Again.

I am certainly glad I do not have to earn my way to shoe salvation.

And for this, my sole rejoices!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...