Monday, June 28, 2010

Adoption Update and Doncha Want to Drink Some Coffee Wearing a Cute Tanktop?


We are waiting on the I-171H. I think that's what it's called. It's when we go down to Immigration and get fingerprinted, and they send our fingerprints off to Homeland Security, then Barack Obama himself looks at our prints and says, "No, Missy and Walker are not a national threat" and then we wait....and wait....and wait for them to send the form back claiming our lack of non-national-threatness. Threatyness?

Okay, okay, you got me. Barack Obama doesn't really do that. He's much too busy playing golf dealing with the BP crisis to look at our paperwork.

And it's a good thing, after that comment, eh?

Anyway getting the invitation to come get fingerprinted was a VERY BIG DEAL. It's like the last hurdle in the dossier process. We showed up at the amazingly efficient UCIS office in Houston and I got 'er done very quickly.


I've been waiting and praying for the green piece of paper to come for so long, I would have cried, really. I did get teary. But then I got way too distracted by the cool digital fingerprint machine. It was so Jack Bauer.

I am getting to be a little bit technologically devanced. Okay, yes, I am turning into my mom. My first clue was last year when I was so impressed by the iPod kiosks at the airport, remember? Well the other day I was telling Walker that I needed to go to Kinkos to print off our family photos and also copy our passports. And I couldn't figure out how to get the documents saved onto a CD or one of those stick thingys.

To which he replied, "Why don't you just upload them to Kinko's from your computer and go pick them up?"

To which I replied,








So, right now, almost all the paperwork for our dossier has been completed, we're just waiting on Obama. Thirty-six days and counting. Once we send it all in, it will be authenticated in Washington DC, then sent to Ethiopia. But the day it goes to DC, we are ON THE WAIT LIST.

The wait list is currently 9 months for a baby (ironic number, huh?) So if we get on the wait list by July (please Obama??) then we should be getting a referral in April. An Easter bunny!

When you get your referral, someone from Gladney calls and says, "Go to your computer!" and then they email you a photo of your baby. And you cry. And take pictures. And post it on your blog, like the Bottomlys.

Will we do that?
Is the pope Catholic? Is the pope of the PCA Tim Keller? Is the Gulf coast economy devastated?

Then it is taking about two months to go meet her and go to court, then another two months to bring her home. Which would make it August.

Here's the tricky part. Ethiopian courts close for six weeks at the end of the summer due to the rainy season. So if we don't pass our second court before the closure, we will have to wait longer. And we will have already met her, held her, loved her, and left her by then. So the extra six weeks would just about kill us.

Could y'all please pray with me that we get over there before the courts close??

We are also fantasizing about taking Shepherd and Eva Rose over with us on the first trip. Problem is, that would add another 3K or so to the bill. But as Julie says, "if God's will, it's God's bill." Don't you love that?!

I am also hoping it is God's will for me to get my hair highlighted.

The Cashola Conundrum

I told Walker yesterday, "Guess what I'm thinkin, if we get all the money raised for this adoption, then when our tax refund comes, we can just apply it to the NEXT adoption!!" He rolled his eyes.

To ring in the obnoxiously hot Houston summer, we now have tank tops for sale! Yea! You can order one here. I really love mine and have worn it everywhere, even with a cardigan over it. But that was like 30 degrees ago.

Sheesh, it's hot.

And this, my friends, is why I am not a supermodel. (Well, that and the fact that I am ridiculously short.) (Plus lots of other reasons.) (Lots.) Because in the first batch of photos we took I looked like I had lost my arms in a horrible turbine accident.


Even though I am only vaguely aware of what a turbine is, I am aware that they can hurt your arms if you, like. Um. Stick your arm in one.

We have also signed up with Gobena Coffee. They sell fair trade coffee (that means the coffee farmers are paid fairly) as a fundraiser for adoption. All you have to do is click here, and order some coffee, and we receive $5 for every bag sold. I have been told that the coffee is fabulous!

The best part of waking up is Baby Bethie in your cup, y'all.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...