Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Why I'm not tweeting for Oprah



Yesterday I received an email from a woman on behalf of the Oprah Winfrey Network. Tonight, on Our America, the uber cool Lisa Ling is taking a look at the controversial issue of homosexuality and Christianity. Also tomorrow there is going to be special show hosted by Gayle King and she will take twitter questions.

I was asked to 'join in the dialogue.'

How cool is that? I get bloggy offers every week, some great, some just flat out weird, but getting something from someone who is within a few degrees of separation from Oprah made me feel pretty tingly inside.

So why'd I say no?

Short answer: I have Beth Moore tonight, so I can't watch the show live.

Long answer: I'm a chicken. Yup. Bock bock bock bock bock.

The homosexuality and Christianity thing is so complicated that there is just no way that I can go there in 140 characters. (I've covered my thoughts in depth on it here.) It's an issue that is dear to my heart, as I have gay friends, some who even call themselves Christian. Are they Christians? I hope so. Can you be a Christian and be gay? Well, I really really hope so, because if sinners can't be Christians, I'm in a heap of trouble. (OH! Good thing we have the bible to say yes, the one thing a Christians cannot be is a non-sinner. Cause that would seriously throw off the whole crucifixion thing.)

Unfortunately, some other folks who call themselves Christian but who have seriously missed the point have done such a terrible PR job for us in the way that they have treated homosexuals, that I hate being associated with them simply because of our shared faith in Christ.

I remember years ago when a gay activist group was planning on picketing the biggest Baptist church in town. A guy who was a member there told me, with a smug, almost excited smile, "Well, good. If they are picketing us, we must be doing something right."

Exactly!! Coming off as hating other people in the name of Jesus is SO AWESOME!!! Way to share the gospel, you idiot.

Those kind of folks are the ones who I really wish would just shut up. They do a whole lot of damage to the Church. And that does damage to people who are already hurting, and who then feel like God wants nothing to do with them.

So the rest of us, who do believe that not being a sinner but actually sinning by having sex outside of biblical marriage is indeed wrong (whether you are gay OR straight! Same thing! Doesn't matter!), have been portrayed as such hateful stone throwers that it's very difficult for anyone to listen to us with an open mind and open heart, no matter how lovingly we may speak the truth.

But - I get equally frustrated with those in the church who encourage people, gay or straight, to remain entrenched in their sin, which only facilitates separation from the fullness of a right relationship with God and the blessings that follow. I don't call that love, I call that abuse. And I'm afraid that the pastors in the show might do that.

About a jillion very opinionated people are going to be watching the show tonight. If I hashtagged, some of them would probably come to my blog and leave me mean comments that might make me cry.

Bock, bock bock bock bock.

Here's the link to the preview.

If you want to drown out the stupid Christians, tweet your questions to Gayle tonight at @ouramerica. And I am sure I don't have to tell y'all this, my sweet readers, but just in case this gets forwarded: IF YOU DO NOT TWEET AS AMBASSADORS OF A LOVING CHRIST WHO CAME TO SAVE THE LOST THEN FOR GOD'S SAKE SHUT UP.

The world is watching.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...