Thursday, April 7, 2011

The best laid plans go to soup

So, my Just One Thing today was to empty the "place where fire is made" room - that's what Walker just called it - yes, we've lived here since 2003 and still don't quite know what to call that room - of everything that did not belong in it.

Didn't happen. Because I was informed that Walker HAD to have a backpack before he went camping this weekend with Shep and a dozen other hyper Cub Scouts, so he would swing by to get it after work, ie, be home late. To which I replied, "No! No! Please come home! No!!!!" with terror in my eyes and commenced to twitching.

I don't handle dinner time well. My kids just aren't that cute from after school till Dad gets home. The rest of the day, they're stinking adorable. Come 4:00, they spout horns and barbed tails which they use to maim each other over serious issues like arguing whose mommy I am. MY MOMMY! (whack) NO! MY MOMMY! (gore) NO! MY MOMMY! (pummel)

It's not adorable.
Not even a wee bit precious.

So my Just One Thing became purchase a backpack. And since I was already going to venture out in public with makeup and shoes on and everything, I decided to hit Stein Mart and WalMart and the Eye Doctor Mart and Old Navy Mart and Lowes Mart.

I went to WalMart for 1) milk and 2) shoes for Ike.


So yeah so my point of this fascinating recount of my day is to tell you that round about the Capri Sun aisle at WalMart I got a hankering for soup, but I needed something quick and easy, and remembered this soup that my mom and aunt and I used to make back in the day when I had all the time in the world to make gourmet soups but didn't.

And I'm going to share it with you.

I really should just make you some and serve it to you and when you go, "Wow! This is so good!" I should just smile all Top Chef like but I can't do that any more than I can resist saying, when someone compliments my shoes, "Can you believe I got them on CLEARANCE at TARGET??"

Just shut up and say thank you, Missy.
That'll be my One Thing for tomorrow.

But for today:

Just Shut Up and Say Thank You Tortilla Soup

(I double this, cuz, you know.)

1 family size (28oz?) can of Campbell's Chicken and Rice
1/2 can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilis
1/2 can crushed tomatoes
Water to suit you

That's really all you need. But I got all fancy, and added
1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 can corn, drained
cumin to taste
Juice of half a lime

Serve with tortilla chips, avocado, grated cheese, sour cream.

There you go. Your Just One Thing for tomorrow will be Cook All Awesome Like.

At least now my disorganized hovel of a home smells good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...