Monday, April 4, 2011

Happy birthday Ikey Wikey Doodle all the Day!!


Today is my baby's birthday.


He's FOUR.

And equally exciting - y'all - as of last week - the child who refused to get on board IS NOW DRIVING THE POTTY TRAIN.


Which means I am WITHOUT DIAPERS FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 2003.



Which is a LONG LONG STINKY TIME."

All aboard!!!!!!!!!!


In February, I went to a parent teacher conference at Ike's preschool that basically went like this: "Well, Mrs. Dollahon, I'm just wondering exactly what craptastic parenting skills you are employing because I really don't like your kid! At all! Whatever you are doing, wowza, it sucks!!" No, those were not the exact words, but that was most definitely the gist.


I am sharing that little story with you because, after confessing it to sweet friends, I discovered that many of my friends who are GREAT MOMS have had very similar teacher conferences. I thought I was the only one - not. So if it happens to you, you aren't alone. Sucky moms unite!!

His teacher asked if he got any attention at home, which caused me, even in my shock and awe, to laugh out loud. Um, the baby boy of four? The extremely cute, extremely cuddly and extremely demanding baby of four? Yes. He gets attention. Never. You. Worry.


(Soon afterwards I had an epiphany: because we are in a large family, from now on, I should expect that any time one of my children has an issue, the default will be, "Oh, s/he must not get enough attention at home." Cause everyone knows kids from smaller families are purrrrrrrrfeck.)
 

Anyway, after many tears and prayers and talks with family and friends, we moved Ikety Wikety to a new school. A school where he is flourishing with his new wonderful, sweet, Jesus-loving, patient, firm, experienced teacher Miss Kimberly who also happens to be The Potty Whisperer.

We decided to put him in school every day until he is fully trained, because at our home, continuity is not our strong suit (just part of my Sucky Mother of Many skillz.)

I finally realized something I have always dreamed about: I outsourced potty training.

Hall.Le.Lu to the Jah.


April 4, 2007, was the worst day of my life. Happy ending, terrible beginning. If you want to read about how sweet baby boy scared the holy moly out of us four years ago today, you can begin his birthstory here.


Here's a video I made from way back then.


I'd cry, but I'm way too happy.

CHOOO CHOOOOO!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...