Thursday, June 2, 2011

Adoption Update - He Did It!



First, information about Ethiopia is dicey, but it seems the pace is picking up. I am hoping we have our referral around September. I don't think we'll travel until 2012. Having her home by Easter is my goal (remember when this past Easter was my goal? Ah, me and my plans.)

But I have a pretty wonderful announcement.

Today I asked Lifesong for Orphans, the organization that gave us a matching grant for the adoption, to send us an update on our giving. As of today, $6,719.00 has been donated.

Kingsland Baptist, here in Katy/Houston, a church that doesn't know us from Adam but wanted to help us bring our daughter home, agreed to to match up to $4,000.00. 

That means we have $10,719 waiting in our Bethie fund.

Upon referral, we will owe Gladney $6,850.00. Which leaves us almost $4,000.00 to travel with - I was planning on setting aside about $6,000 for the two trips.

We can handle the excess if we need to.

We are funded.
Bethie's adoption is funded.
God has funded the adoption for his baby girl.

In October of 2009, I looked at all the paperwork for our adoption, and realized that I would need about $4,000 to begin. We didn't have $4,000. Discouraged, I said a short prayer, basically consisting of three words: "Do it, Lord."

The next day my husband called me from work and said that he would be receiving an unexpected bonus of $4,000.

Since then, God has showed off over and over and over and over and over.

On that Lifesong list of names are a few people whom I knew would contribute (like, my parents - love you GG and BJ!) and a whole lot of people who have just amazed me immeasurably with their generosity. There are names on there of people I don't even know, y'all, and doubt I will ever meet this side of Heaven. Lots of you are reading right now.

I've gotten emails from people saying, "I don't know you and you don't know me, but I feel like God is telling me to give this money to you." $1,700.00 of that money comes from y'all - people I've never even met.

I've also gotten checks from some of y'all for small amounts - and I get it, because I recently did the same for my friend Michelle. I don't have a lot of cash lying around obviously, but I want to be part of baby Selah's story - even if it is only an itty bitty part. Those small checks touch my heart as much as the big ones. Two friends of ours who are unemployed each tucked $10 in their Christmas cards and I wept over those even more than the $1000 checks.

On top of all that, after Christmas we began a Financial Peace University course at our church. So as of three days ago, my friends:

WE'RE DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


We have paid off all our debt.

And we have been blessed with approximately $30,000 to bring home our daughter.

And I haven't actually added it up, but I know we provided less than $1,000.00 of that.

The other day I was listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio when a man called in saying he felt led to adopt, but he did not have the funds. Dave said no. Dave said he did not think it was from God if the funds weren't already there.

Dave, I love you, I respect you, but you are 100% wrong on that one.

Because as I have had to remind myself over and over, and will no doubt have to keep reminding myself even after we get her home, this is not our adoption. This is Bethlehem Dollahon's adoption. This is the Lord's adoption.

And the Lord owns the cattle on a thousand hills so He's not really sweating over $30,000.

How can we ever thank you enough, who have given to our daughter so generously??

But do you really know what you've done for us, and all of our children?

How can our precious girl, who may not even be born yet, ever doubt how much the Lord loves her when we tell her this story?? How can she ever doubt that He will provide for her every need when He provided such a fortune to bring her home??  How can she ever doubt that she is an important warrior in His army, when He fought so hard for her life??

How can any of our other children ever doubt that they do not have the power to do any crazy thing through Christ who strengthens them, after seeing how He has blessed their family so abundantly??

How can you ever doubt that the Lord won't provide you with whatever you need in order to advance His kingdom?

There are millions more Bethies out there.

My friends, I dare you to dare Him.

It takes just three little words: "Do it, Lord..."


Now may the God of peace, 
who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
that great Shepherd of the sheep, 
equip you with everything good for doing his will,
and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, 
through Jesus Christ,
to whom be glory for ever 
and ever.
Amen!
Hebrews 13:20

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...