Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Restaurant to Ban Kids Under 6

My brother-in-law sent me this link this morning. What do y'all think?

 A Restaurant to Ban Kids Under 6 -- Older Customers Complained About Rowdiness



"It hasn't been a banner year for the under-6 set.

Starting July 16, McDain's, a Pittsburgh-area restaurant, will ban children under the age of 6 from its dining area. Restaurant owner Mike Vuick said the policy came in response to complaints he'd received from older customers about kids causing a ruckus. In an email to his clientele, Vuick wrote, "We feel that McDain's is a not a place for young children … and many, many times they have disturbed other customers."

Read the rest of the article here.

Have you ever had a horrible kid experience in a restaurant - either your own or other people's?

Tawk amongst yourselves.

 ******

Okay, now that y'all have weighed in I'll tell you my opinion :)

I think it's completely the restaurant's right, of course. I assume they had some horrible situations that caused them to do this. If they didn't, then they are just crotchety, and the restaurants of crotchety restaurants usually fail pretty quickly.

We try to go to kid-friendly places when we have the kids. Here in the burbs, this is not a problem.

I can say I have only had one bad experience that comes to mind with bratty kids in a restaurant, and it was actually bratty parents. 

You know how toddlers go through that high pitched screaming phase that will call all the dogs in the neighborhood. Most of them do, and when they do, they MUST be disciplined for the sake of all our sanity. Usually holding their little chin rather firmly in my hand, looking directly into their eyes with my meanest Mommy face and saying "NO. SCREAM." did the trick. If that did not, a spanking would.

We were at 59 Diner - anyone who knows me knows that I believe this to be about the worst restaurant in Houston so I was already a little grumpy at being outvoted and being forced to eat there by extended family. We had about 4-6 very small children in our group. And at another table, there was a toddler who was doing The Scream, over and over and over and over, and the parents would do nothing.

Now, let me tell you right now - if you do not discipline your children in public, I will be happy to discipline them for you. I was a teacher. Fussing at strange children is nothing to me. I even enjoy it a little. (Frieda has a 'teacher face' that could stop a trucker dead. I learned from The Master.)

Had they been closer, I would have looked at this baby and said NO. SCREAM.

But they weren't. They were across the restaurant, and too far away to look at my mom. Every time the baby screamed I would literally jump. I was so aggravated - but at the parents, not the child. Because the parents completely ignored something that could not have been viewed cute by anyone with eardrums.

Perhaps they were deaf? I had not considered that. I don't know how else they could have resisted stabbing their eyeballs with their forks since the screams were directly in their ears.

Nah, they weren't. They were just really, really rude. 

But those experiences are the exception, not the rule, at least in my town.

Rules like this don't determine where I eat. Good service and good food do. And sandboxes. Because we drive a long way for a restaurant with a sandbox, where everyone there expects dirty loud children and we never fail to disappoint.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...