Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Soup: it's not just for winter anymore

This weekend, I walked into my garage and gasped and wailed at the horrific sight that awaited me: an open freezer door. With pounds upon pounds of thawing meat that I had brought from afar (Kroger) when it was found at a great price because I so Proverbs 31y like that.

Till I leave the door open.
Moving along to Chapter 32.

If you have been reading my blog for way too long, you will recall from the cobwebby corners of your mind that yes, this has happened before back in '08.

After an extended period of locking the deep freeze, I let my guard down. I never thought this would happen again. And when I least expected it...it broke my heart.

I just don't know if I can ever trust it again.
I sure hope I can find that key.

My garage now smells like a packing plant. Or as Maggie said, "Like....animals." The Eau de Blood is only accentuated by the balmy 105 degree Houston weather. But my precious husband did the nasty cleaning job - which was so much more romantic to me than diamonds. Thanks babe. Wink wink.

But now I have a CLEAN freezer packed with six casseroles, plus some extra browned ground meat with taco or chili aspirations. And this is a beautiful thing, because next week I shall go under the knife and my family will have food (Prov. 31:15, thank you very much.) I am having surgery in an attempt to fix the jacked-up back issues caused by gestating 32 pounds + 11 ounces of child during a crazy four year period back in the early to mid 2000s.

Pregnancy, the gift that keeps on giving. For the rest of your life.


Which brings us to gazpacho.

??

You think I'm randomly ramblin now, girlfriend, just wait till I get me a laptop and some Vicodin. Who knooooows the things Missy may choose to share with the world come next week!!

I just found it when going through all my recipes in a desperate attempt to make meat tasty and thought I would share it with y'all. Because it is good, and so healthy, and fat free, and good. I make it every summer. Mmmmm.

Now if you are not a fan of tomato juice, or her slutty sister the Bloody Mary, then you won't like this. I am fond of both sisters so I love it. My kids all love it too. I know that makes them kinda weird but that's okay because they have weird parents so really what did we expect.

GAZPACHO

1 clove garlic, minced (but I always use more. Keeps the mosquitoes away. Eva Rose likes to eat minced garlic out of the jar. Which I intend to strongly encourage for the next ten years. Because garlic breath: better than a chastity belt)
4-6 chopped tomatoes
1/2 chopped green pepper (optional)
2 cucumbers, peeled and diced
1/2 onion, chopped fine (both the girls love raw onions. See above.)
2 T olive oil
1 T wine vinegar or regular vinegar
salt and pepper
1 46 ounce can Campbell's tomato juice

Mix it all together and put in the fridge. Yum!
I do not puree this because I like it chunky. You are welcome to toss it in the food processor if that would make you happy. I want you to be happy.

Now I shall assemble two lasagnas so that my husband shall praise me at the city gates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...