So for tonight I'm gonna do a quick shameless copy of something Megan did the other day, called, "What I'm Into".
Also known as: "But Enough About Me, Let's Talk About Me."
On my nightstand:
Oh, so many. I have book ADD and am constantly juggling 15 at once.
- I finally broke down and bought My Utmost for His Highest instead of just using an iPhone app. I alternate between Ozzy and Spurgeon, two of my fave dead theo-homies. They get all up in my bidness.
- Unbroken: so, so good, about WWII POW Louis Zamperini. I told Walker, you know that Laura Hillenbrand is a good author when I actually care about track statistics from the 1930s! If you need a gift for your dad this Christmas, this is the one.
- Girls on the Edge, which is freaking. me. out. but is an important book I think every mom of girls needs to read (his book for boys, Boys Adrift, is on my to-read list)
- I'm excited that Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches is being mailed to me by the publisher. A lot of ladies on my church's mommy group have been talking about Rachel Jankovic since she had an awesome blog post published on Desiring God (Piper = one of my fave live theo-homies.)
y'all, I love scary movies. Can't stand / have been known to walk out of violent slasher kill 'em movies, but a well done, psychological thriller, ghost story? Yes please. Walker and I saw Paranormal III in the theater and he said he thought I was going to break his fingers off from squeezing so tight. I let out at least one embarrassing squeal. Loved. It.
- Modern Family, of course. "I sleep clown." BAHAHAHA
- The jury is still out on New Girl for me. I think I like it. But I'm not fully committed.
- I'm so glad that The Office is back and with a vengeance!! Poor poor Andy.
- I am trying, again, to watch Mad Men. Such good tv, although sometimes it is hard to concentrate on the plot because I am so coveting Betty Draper's wardrobe. But not her husband. Noooope.
- Do y'all watch Locked Up Abroad? I'm glad I found it, because now I know to Just Say No when sketchy guys ask me to smuggle heroin in my high heel shoes in exchange for a free vacation. Thank you, NatGeo.You've saved me years in a third world prison with rats and one toilet per 82 inmates, and for that, I am most grateful.
- Hoarders, because it inspires me to clean my house like nothing else. Who plays 'spot the hoarder' at garage sales now? Anyone? I saw a total cat lady buying a bunch of junk at a church rummage sale last week and wanted to schedule an intervention right then and there in the fellowship hall.
In my ears:
- Monster Mash, because Ike wants to play it overandoverandoverandoverandover
- In the Jungle, which Shep has declared his favorite song, and he sings so seriously you'd think it was a hymn. Imagine an 8 year old singing "a-wee, a-weh, a-wee, a-weh" with a beatific look on his face. It's so awesome.
- Jonathon Coulton's The Princess Who Saved Herself, a kids' song that Walker wants to play over and over. It's so great - trust me, just download it.
- I found a new podcast: it's called Snap Judgment. Loving it. It's a collection of stories, just people telling stories, around themes like "Abducted" or "Road Trip" or "It Wasn't Me." Fun stuff.
Well, our kitchen is in a serious state of transition.
One of my children is having some serious behavior problems (hint: it's the one they named a hurricane after) and is not responding to any discipline. So I am trying the Feingold Diet.
I've been intrigued by this diet since my friend Linsey told me about it (you can read her story here.) We're in. We're in because we're a little desperate. Ike has more than a few symptoms on their symptom list.
We do eat mostly healthy around here - or so I thought. But the things I have learned in the past few days about additives and preservatives have given me serious anxiety and caused me trash some things in my pantry with the same disgust I show towards weevil infested grits. Even if this doesn't help his behavior (and I'm praying hard that it will) I will never feed my family the same way again.
It's very hard to do this over the holidays (my mom and I were scouring the internet today for organic Worcestershire sauce for her Texas Trash) so we won't commit full on till after Christmas.
As for yummy food, I made Sweet Potato Gratin with Chipotle for the first time this Thanksgiving and my husband fell in love with me all over again.
Looking forward to:
- Tomorrow the guys are coming to de-white trash my yard, and I am very 'cited about this. Before the drought, it was tacky. Now? It's a flat out disgrace to decent society.
- This weekend we are going to see a kids' version of Handel's Messiah but before then we are taking family photos. That should be interesting.