Unless you believe that God's sovereignty is bigger than cabbage and all that.
Which we do of course. I mean, of course.
So let's just pretend.
Cabbage is so healthy - an excellent source of vitamin C, and it will also, you know, keep ya regular.
Walker is ridiculously corny and every time a waiter brings us something, whether it's a steak or a margarita, he says, "Just like Grandma used to make." Yeah. Every time. Neeeeever gets old.
But this cabbage really is just like Grandma used to make, and just like my kiddos' GG makes for them too. If you were not blessed to have a Southern cooking grandma like I had in Vernie Lou, now you can just pretend and fifty years from now your own grandchildren will talk about your cabbage at your funeral.
And because it is a Grandma recipe, the ingredients will be listed in terms of "about" and "some". Roll with it.
- Chop up about 2-3 strips of bacon into bite size pieces and saute in a little oil in Dutch oven
- Add one coarsely chopped onion and saute that
- Chop up one head of cabbage. Throw that in there.
- Now you can add some oil or butter or more bacon grease that you've got saved in your pantry if you were raised right.
- Add about half a cup of water.
- Salt it generously.
- Pepper it generously.
- Some folks add a little sugar here.
- Put the lid on it for about ten minutes till it is all nice and wilted.
Serve with homemade cornbread.
Glory to God and Grandma. Amen.
Happy New Year!!