Friday, December 16, 2011

My Mind-Body-Soul Workout

Y'all I have been to the gym twice this week. TWICE!

Our Y has a new piece of equipment since the last time I was there - the Expresso recumbent bike, aka, the Chuck-E-Cheese bike. You choose your little path and you both ride and steer. I chose to bike around some Mayan pyramids. Without the 90 degree Mexican heat, which was a bonus. About 3/4 of the way into the route, when my quads were on fire, I tried to sacrifice myself to the sun god by driving off a cliff, but alas, Expresso wouldn't let me. It also wouldn't let me run anyone else off the road. Which I wanted to. Because they were all wearing tight biker shorts over their perfect little booties.

Anyway I got a great workout both physically and spiritually. While I worked out my body, Beth Moore blasted in my ears. So since we are all going to join the "Hot for the Holidays" (do you love it???) challenge I thought I would share one of my favorite things about working out - ok, my only favorite thing about working out - which is listening to podcasts.

I am not a huge music person. I know, I know, that makes me a freak of nature. (I am not a music person and Walker hates pets. Together, we are almost evil. ) So my iPod is not used a whole lot for music. But I LOVE me some good teaching podcasts. And I am gonna share with you my faves, and where I get them, so that maybe we can be Sweatin to the Preachers together.

Do y'all know about OnePlace.com? OnePlace has almost every Christian speaker who is on the radio. Most of their MP3s are free. When you go here to All Ministries, click on the program you want. Then click on Show Archive, and either listen to them on your computer or download the ones that appeal to you. If they have a podcast, you can subscribe and then the latest episode will automatically add to your itunes.

Here are some of my favorites:

The White Horse Inn: My all time favorite podcast ever period amen. Love these guys. I had such a mental crush on Michael Horton I was shocked when I first saw his picture and he looked nothing like Brad Pitt. When I listen to them, I feel like I get a mental workout while I get a physical one - and I also embarrass myself occasionally by laughing out loud in the stairmaster. Their motto is "Know what you believe and why you believe it." No more brainless Christians. You are either gonna love them or...not love them. But listen long enough, and you'll love the Word more and know exactly why Joel Osteen is a heretic who oughta be burned at the stake for the blasphemy he is spreading about our Savior.

Ahem. Moving forward...

Grace to You: John MacArthur is my homie. Amazing preacher who breaks down scripture.

Renewing Your Mind: RC Sproul is another of my homeboys, theologically speaking. He has taught me much. And I love that he's kind of like your crusty old grandpa.

Family Life Today: About half of these interest me. But the good ones are really good. Oddly, the podcast is free, but you have to pay for the individual MP3s. Nuclearity and Ear Reverant are the same. The recent show they did on Disney princesses was a must-hear for us moms of princess crazed little girls.

The Bible Answer Man: I used to listen to Hank Hanegraaf when I was teaching as I graded papers or organized my classroom. I learned so much. I don't agree with him 100% but if you want to learn exactly why Mormons aren't Christians or why most all the TV guys' theology is off base, he's got the answers.

Telling the Truth: Jill Briscoe is one of my all-time favorite teachers. And she does it with an English accent to boot.

Homemakers by Choice: I have not listened to these before, but last night I heard her interview with Elisabeth Elliot and her daughter and it was wonderfully encouraging. Hurry - it is at the bottom of the archive list so it will drop by tomorrow.

Nancy Leigh DeMoss: another I have not heard much, but I caught her on the radio today talking about mentoring and you know this is a subject near and dear to me, and the broadcast was wonderful. I intend to listen more.

Bryan Chappell: ooo, this is new. Not heard it yet, but I heart his books.

Precepts for Life: Kay Arthur. Need I say more? Amazing bible teacher.

Really good pastors who give traditional sermons, some with English accents!:
Michael Youssef
Ravi Zacharias
Adrian Rogers
Paul Sheppard: These used to cost and I am glad to see they are now free. He brings it.
David Jeremiah
Alistair Begg

Awesome but not free:
Tony Evans rocks but dang, $4.50 a pop?
Beth Moore: $2.00. Sad face. But...

My latest, greatest, most exciting discovery is that I can get Beth on my iPod for free. Many of you know that she is on Life Today every Wednesday. You can also download those MP3s! Which is great since I have about 15 Wednesdays with Beth sitting on my DVR waiting to be watched.

And, I feel like super dork for admitting it, but I get the Focus on the Family podcast. Some of them I delete, but they also have really great guests! Like, they just had Anne Rice on - now, that's cool.

Anne Rice talking about Jesus on Focus on the Family. Who'd of ever thunk it. If that's not the Holy Spirit, I just don't know what is.

So there are my favorite ways to work out my brain and my spirit while my muffin top melts away. If you know of any others, please let me know!

post signature

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...