Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Questions about the Feingold Diet?




I've moved Ike's Food Diary to a new blog with a new name: Coal Mine Canaries. Please click here to see how that name came to be.

Since we began the Feingold Diet, Ike's behavior is so, so different from what it was this time last month. I still have a nervous feeling in my stomach every time I go to pick him up from preschool, afraid that the teacher is going to give me 'the look' and explain how he clobbered another kid or refused to obey her.

But every day I get two little words that make my heart sing: "Good day!"

At home, he is sweeter and more patient. His relationship with his siblings has improved so much, especially with Shepherd. Before he was the bratty baby brother. The other day, Shep said, "Mom! Ike is so funny now! And cute! And fun! I love having a brother!"

Perhaps my favorite part is how well his language has improved. He can express himself so much more than he could. His expressive language is almost normal. The worst part about having a child with a speech delay (I've had two) is that it stunts your relationship. Maybe that is the greatest blessing from Feingold - Ike can talk now, and Shep is right, he is funny!

I've had several emails from friends who are considering doing Feingold. They have lots of questions like, How hard is it? Are you doing the whole family or just one kid? Is it costing you a fortune?

So, I'm wondering if y'all have questions too?


If you do, please leave them in the comments and I will do a Q&A soon.

Granted, I've only got one month's experience, so I'm no expert, that never stopped me from running my mouth before so why start now?

12 comments:

  1. I'm wondering about my own boys and if I should start some special diet for them? How soon after he eats something with the dye, or bad chemicals do you notice the bad behavior? Is it immediate? Does it make a difference in how much he eats? I often find myself thinking it can't really be that small piece of chocolate he had?? Thanks for all your wonderful input. Love your blog. oxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you, Miss. Proud of you for taking the plunge and for talking about it. Keep blabbing. It take most people lots of questions and dragging of feet to take the plunge, but when they do, there are no regrets. My story is as radical as can be. The way the eat is the only reason my kids aren't medicated...and the main reason I'm sane! :)

    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk to me about the financial aspect. My kids do pretty well on a "conventional healthy" diet (e.g., packed lunch = fruit/vegetables/cheese/milk, etc.), and every time I start to think "Wow, I should really buy organic everything!" and shop exclusively at the co-op, I'm faced with the fact that I have to feed 4 people for 2 weeks on about $300. This is a lot, I know - most people don't have that much - but it is a lot when you realize that equals 126 meals total and I can't do it at the co-op.

    How are you addressing this? Has your budget increased, or are you getting all creative or are you changing the all-over diets and only eating meat a few times a week, etc.

    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a need to look into stuff like this myself because God knows I can't handle anything and has given me extra-easy kids, but my sister has been curious about such things-- her 23 month old has always been a spunky little girl, but mostly "normal." However, her sleep disturbances are getting annoying. Her Daddy sleepwalks, and this little girl has never slept worth a darn and they're starting to worry. They thought it was just lack of discipline (could be) but due to daddy's issues, they're wondering if there's more to it than that. My sister doesn't want to look into medications for a child still so young, of course-- are there dietary changes that could help? Where should she look? I know this diet you're trying is for ADHD and behavioral issues, but do you know of any advice for someone who's needing help with a kid who just will not stay asleep?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm wondering if you could give some examples of "good food" that might be negatively affecting kids without parents realizing it. My son sounds very similar to yours, but most of the food you've mentioned in previous posts aren't foods he eats regularly. I'm sure there are plenty of seemingly good foods that could be affecting my son, but am not sure if it's worth the cost of investing in the literature and system without some examples. (Does that even make sense?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so thrilled to have found you tonight...

    my daughter (and,consequently, the rest of the family) is battling apraxia of speech and I have been on the brink of changing her diet... for about 3 years now. It's always "after this next IEP" or "after this evaluation" or "after this vacation".

    But the truth is, I just don't know where to start.

    So I'll start reading about Feingold.
    Thanks for the push :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We, too, use the Feingold diet. What a difference it makes! Are you a member of the Feingold Association? Makes it so mcuh easier. Here's the website www.feingold.org

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I just became a Feingold member this weekend and have begun sifting through the materials. I'm most nervous about bread!!! Do you bake your own? Anyway, it's encouraging to find "cyberfriends" who are going through the same changes. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my love language. Let's be friends!!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...