Monday, September 10, 2012

Pimping broc-co-li

I don't actually make up recipes, rather, I tweak the heck out of other people's recipes. Sometimes to an insulting degree.

Like chicken divan. Chicken divan is a very old school recipe, your mom has surely heard of it. Probably your grandma too. And y'all there's a reason that several generations of your familial womenfolk know this dish: it's because it's good. Creamy and decadent but chock full of vitamins A and C!

So tonight I made it very close to Paula Deen's, which is fairly classic. But I changed it up and then as I was eating it I thought of more ways to change it up next time, like putting some celery in there for texture. Or maybe even water chestnuts, mmm, that sounds good. And then I thought I had better put it here or I will forget because I forget everything. For real. I frequently come to the blog to consult my own self about what to make for dinner.

What was I saying?

Oh yes. Here we go:

Missy's Pimped Out Chicken Divan

this fed all 6 of us with some leftovers

  • 2 10oz packages frozen broccoli or half the gigantic Costco bag that was starting to reek in my fridge
  • 3 chicken breasts hastily nuked and cut into small pieces
  • 3 cans cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can mushrooms (skip if you're a hater. I'm a lover. We can still be friends.)
  • 1.5 cups sour cream, or if you are out like I was, sub whole milk
  • 1.5 cups mayo (Hellman's is Feingold approved. Go Hellman's!) (Glad my name isn't Hellman. "Hell-Man." Eek.)
  • 2 cups grated cheddar
  • 2-3 stalks chopped celery
  • juice of one lemon
  • curry powder, to your preference, my preference being bountiful
  • salt & pepper
  • 1/2 cup white wine pour a little, sip a little, pour a little, sip a little
  • bread crumbs
  • rice

Preheat to 350

If you used frozen broccoli, defrost it. Fresh, nuke it hastily in the microwave (in a covered container with a little water for 5 minutes)
Sing the Choppin Broccoli song as you work.
Make bread crumbs: melt some butter on low heat in a pan, tear about 5 pieces of bread into pieces, including the end pieces that the kids won't eat anyway, and saute around in the butter till they're crispy.
Mix all the creamy seasoned goodness together in a bowl. Add the chicken and broccoli. Dump it in a 9x12 and top with bread crumbs. Bake, you know, 20-30 minutes or something. Fire up the minute rice to server it with.

While that's in the oven, watch this:

Tomorrow is the last day for the Open Arms giveaway! Go enter here.




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...