Sunday, October 21, 2012

What I'm into today



Believe me, I know I owe you/me/everybody part 3 of the referral story. I know. I just haven't had an extra 2-3 hours to write it.

We just got back from a family reunion in Tenaha, Texas. Which is five hours away. Which means we spent ten hours in a car with six bladders and six tummies and four children who consider bickering a competitive sport. Which means my neck muscles are so tense right now I would give away one of said kids for a good backrub. Which my husband might do for me if ten hours in a car hadn't killed the romance between us as well, at least for the evening.

It's gonna be a long, long, looooong ride to Ethiopia, y'all.

So how about a little What I'm Into Now, a great idea I am shamelessly copying from my friend Megan. Because this is easy. And my shoulders are aching.

Books I'm reading: I'm finishing up several before I dive full on into the adoption/Ethiopia books.




Water, by Bapsi Sidhwa. This is the story of a little girl who becomes a widow at the age of seven, and what it means to be a widow in India. I am loving this book because I knew nothing about the horrible plight of India's widows - even if they were only children when they were married. It has improved some since this book's setting in the 1930s, but not much. Intrigued? Read this article.

I'm also finally reading Stuff Christians Likeand giggling and blushing so, so much. Blushing because man, I didn't know I was such a stereotype! If you haven't read it, treat yourself.

Netflix I'm watching: Walker and I are addicted to Breaking Bad. It's gritty and so dark and I have to turn away at some parts but it is also simply brilliant writing. And often hysterical.

I recently watched a documentary called Pink Ribbons Inc about the breast cancer 'business' that forever changed the way that I will view a pink ribbon. In my opinion, this a must-see for women. 





Movie I wish someone would come babysit my kids so I could go see with my husband:  We want to see The Master so bad. It's about L Ron Hubbard and Scientology - and y'all know I have a fascination with cults.


Podcasts I'm listening to: Thank you, Apple, for the new Podcast icon. It almost makes me forgive you for adding the address of every single facebook friend into my gmail auto-complete. Because you really thought I'd want 700 addresses in there? Really, Apple?

Jessica told me that I had to listen to Austin's Stone's series on Idolatry and wow. Zingers GALORE y'all. Hello, I'm Missy, and the Approval segment kicked my butt. Highly recommend. 

Also, the Tim Keller podcast on Spiritual Warfare from July 3 is fantastic.


Just a couple of timely links: 

The Church + Politics = A MESS! Oh how many times can I AMEN this? I cringe for months every election season when I see Christians 'evangelize' for their candidate. {shudder} 

The Inconvenient Truth About Your Halloween Candy and Forced Child Labor Chocolate doesn't taste so sweet anymore. If the fact that Halloween candy is full of artificial ADHD causing chemicals hasn't already turned you off, maybe the image of little African slaves making it will.

If y'all have any alternatives for trick or treaters, please leave them in the comments.

Alright, that totally wore me out. Night y'all.



23 comments:

  1. My girl would so sit for you so you and the hubby could go see that movie....if only you guys still lived here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Water" was also made into a (very good!) movie. It's part of a trilogy by the filmmaker Mira Nair -- well worth seeing. I want to see The Master too. Hoping you and Walker are on backrub terms before bedtime!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Tokyo and my husband started watching Breaking Bad. He got hooked. I could not take it. It was too much for me but so many of my friends in the US are raving about it. I would rather watch Modern Family. :) Have you read A Fine Balance? It is India in 1970s. It will help you to not complain about anything. Love your blog even though we have never met!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Breaking Bad. Also love Dexter. So, so bad to love a serial killer, but, hey, I'm being transparent here.

    The link to the Church+Politics didn't work for me. ???

    Love the blog. Read often. First time commenter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to watch Dexter. I loved the premise of a psychopath with a heart of gold :) It was too much for me tho.

      Fixed the link - thanks for telling me!

      Delete
  5. We saw The Master...it is terrible...not worth seeing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to agree....my husband and I ended up walking out about halfway through. We thought it was a terrible movie, nothing like the previews made it seem.

      Delete
  6. alternative halloween treats- Glowsticks! 15 for a buck at dollar tree..but then I wonder, did some poor little Chinese girl make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo, good idea! And, yes. Sigh. China seems to be better re child labor than Africa tho.

      Delete
    2. This is the best alternative to candy idea I've heard of.

      Delete
  7. Missy the books look good I can't wait to look them up. I was wondering how do you handle food on a weekend when you are away at a family event like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith. With a wink and a prayer.

      We ate out a lot and fortunately restaurant food doesn't affect him very much because it is fresh. At the reunion, they had bbq, that's fine, and I steered him toward the homemade desserts. On the road we ate fast food (blech) which has a lot of problems of course but as far as Feingold, is not the worst offender. The main thing I figure is the preservatives in hot dog or hamburger buns, but there is only so much I can do. :/

      Preservatives stink so we avoid them, but the dyes and certain fruits lead to our big behavior issues. Those are actually pretty easy to avoid when traveling.


      Delete
    2. As far as we can tell so far dyes, TBHQ, and aspertaine are our biggies. Haven't tested the fruit yet.
      Loved your blog today. Keep up the fantastic writing.

      Delete
  8. I'm just about to put in an order for fairtrade rubber gloves from Traidcraft. When Jesus was telling people the parable of the unforgiving debtor, it wasn't just about forgiveness, it was about not exploiting people more vulnerable than you. I'll save the rant for my own blog sometime ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I can't find a way to 'like' your posts from my wordpress account. Like, like, like!

      Delete
  9. YumEarth Organics lollipops are on sale at Whole Foods right now for $5.99 a bag (around 40 lollipops). I bought two bags.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just finished season 4 of Breaking Bad and I feel a little in love with Walter White. And a little in hate. Crazy good show. I skipped washing my hair tonight so we could watch two episodes in a row. This is serious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a friend gave out those adorable little tiny containers of Play Doh last year for Halloween and I thought that was a cute idea. We don't really have a problem with candy except that mommy eats it all and then is mad at herself when she gets on the scale. Or goes to the dentist with a chipped filling from chewing on suckers (they're not called "chewers," are they?) or just because what kind of mean mommy eats all her kids candy??? but I wouldn't be at all tempted to steal that Play Doh and they are plenty thrilled with it, so I vote for that option! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Missy, I was frustrated when Apple added all of that to my phone, too...and then I figured out how to get rid of it. Unfortunately, all I remember is that it was in "settings" under Contacts- I just unselected the "Facebook" tab. Wish I could be more specific, but good luck! I figured it out just playing around, so hopefully you can too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're thinking of my contacts. That's not the problem. It's my auto-complete in gmail. Like if I try to email someone, and type an S, every S person I know on facebook pops up to 'help' me. Drives me insane.

      Delete
  14. If it makes you feel any better - you are the A List to myself on the B List. And to reference a comment made ions ago when I said I wanted to be you when I grow up - and you said "Oh, you want to write a post every 2 months or so???" YES. I have now become Missy. But not like in a stalker sort of way :p

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my love language. Let's be friends!!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...