Saturday, November 17, 2012

Share the love, share the joy, share the anxiety attacks

Yes, highlights was on my to-do list. Priorities, y'all.


You. Guys.

Y'all have been with me through thick and thin in this adoption. From the moment that we announced, oh so many moons ago, through the preparations, the frustrations, the ups, the downs, and finally the joy, y'all have walked every step with me, encouraging me, celebrating with me.

This is why I only think it is proper that you, precious invisible friends, now become an overwhelmed shoulders tensed teeth clenching zits erupting complete freaked out stressbags with me too. 

So here's what you need to do. Every morning, about 5am, wake up and think "Why am I awake? I'm so tired. Go to sleep. 100, 99, 98, 97 wait where are the passports? 96, 95 maybe God woke me up because I am supposed to pray. Dear Lord, please, oh please watch over our girl and help me to SHOOT I forgot to order a new tolltag will we go through any tolls on the way to Houston? 100, 99, 98 can I stop our mail online or do I have to go to the post office? Dear Lord, calm my heart and OH must remember to wrap a present for that birthday party Ike was invited to 96, 95..."

Okay. So. We need to make a list. I keep meaning to make a list but then I get distracted by a kid or facebook or something. Must make a list.

Let's make a list. Lists are good. 

Let's start with the things we have DONE. To make ourselves feel better.

TO DONE
  • Bought a new used car. 
  • Sold a car on Craig's List
  • change title to new used car I went down there and there was a mistake on the title pfffft see below
  • un-Halloween the house
  • Buy our plane tickets YEA!
  • Load a bunch of books onto Eva's Kindle 
  • Load a bunch of books onto my Kindle
  • Ordered DVDs for the plane ride
  • got my highlights redone to cover the gray. We don't want Bethie to think her momma's a grandma, y'all.  
  • ponder the bizarre-ness of paying as much for highlights as some people make in 6 months in Ethiopia
  • pray for a world where everyone can afford highlights
  • bought some stuff for donations
  • got antibiotics etc to take with us
  • Walker got his shots. Only three years after I originally told him to.
  • confirmed kids have had Hep A vax. They got Hep B too, so they can shoot up heroin now without getting hepatitis, so there's that
  • emailed teachers about days kids will be absent
  • emailed landlord about fixing fireplace AGAIN
  • bought snacks for Ethiopia
  • some Christmas shopping (did you see giant puppy on facebook? It's like adopting another kid. Only he's bigger than Bethie.)
  • order Eva's glasses to replace the ones she broke that had replaced the ones she broke (that's three pairs in two weeks, thankyou)
  • go to Costco to get new Roomba (our Roomba is another member of the family. He quit sucking stuff up. So I'm exchanging him. That's how I treat family.)
  • registered trip with Embassy in Ethiopia
  • ordered cool Olivia Newton-John in her safari stage day backpack
  • borrowed duffle bags from Ginny
Huh. We actually have accomplished a little. Don't we feel better now?


TO DO
  • contact the guy who sold us the car and explain what an idiot I am and ask him to redo all the paperwork so I can change the title
  • LEARN HOW TO USE MY CAMERA 
  • make & sign medical release forms for the grandmas
  • order new toll tag
  • go to WalMart to pick up Eva's glasses
  • buy earbuds for plane
  • think about how much I hate WalMart
  • turn off mail
  • scan new UCIS paperwork and email to Lindsay
  • go to bank to get that UCIS thing notarized (this will be the third or fourth time we've gotten this same form notarized, thankyou)
  • redo UCIS fingerprint request 
  • read Lindsay's email from four days ago about all the stuff I need to do before we leave 
  • email Lindsay back
  • try and get schedule for Ethiopia from Gladney
  • fill out Immigration forms to take over on this trip
  • go by Noonday to pick up the Bethie beads Jessica is giving me
  • pack me + four kids for Galveston
  • pack me + two kids for Ethiopia
  • pack carry-ons for Ethiopia
  • pack checked luggage for Ethiopia
  • try not to hyperventilate
  • buy more stuff for donations
  • book our room at Bethel guest house Thank you Carrie!!
  • figure out immigration papers
  • make sure all bills are paid
  • laundry
  • buy probiotics for all of us
  • buy new jeans letting this dream die
  • go to grocery store
  • buy & wrap presents for Ike & Maggie for all the days that we're gone
  • get present for Kate's birthday party
  • RSVP for Kate's birthday party
  • order kids' yearbook
  • get cash for Ethiopia
  • send itinerary to grandmas
  • buy rope?? or something to tie luggage to top of Expedition
  • ask engineer next door neighbor if he has any idea how to tie luggage to top of Expedition
  • empty DVR of all the football games and Monsters Inside Me so that new stuff will be recorded. Don't watch any Monsters Inside Me before going to Africa. Just don't.
  • write instructions for Grandmas for when we're gone
  • GO PICK UP PRESCRIPTION sheesh Missy it's been a week
  • download Maggie's videos off her LeapPad
  • laundry
  • go through this huge stack of papers by the computer
  • buy some dry shampoo
  • breathe deep 
  • order photos to leave with Bethie
  • pick up photos and put in album
  • get diapers for Ethiopia down from attic
  • call ATT to figure out what to do with our iPhones when we're there
  • call credit card to see what benefits we get in airport
  • call 2 doctors for test results 
  • go to Target
  • buy adapter
  • make sure adapter works with laptop
  • borrow cellphone from Shelley
  • buy travel-y stuff
  • buy more travel-y stuff
  • call KLM and ask if they still have blankets and pillows on board They do. THANK YOU facebook friends for investigating
  • make appts in Houston for after Christmas
  • set up blog for when I'm gone - oh goodness. 
  • investigate downloading season 5 of Breaking Bad
  • Start on the Hague training that we've been putting off for 3 years - oh my skull I keep forgetting about that
  • Clean house so it is decent when we come home
  • laundry
  • Install Skype - farming out to Walker
  • take Ike & Maggie to Build a Bear as guilt offering for not taking them to Ethiopia
  • breathe in. breathe out. 

So we're kinda busy.

And did I tell y'all we have dinner guests tonight? We have dinner guests tonight. So I need to go to HEB too.

Okay, we obviously need to get off the Internet.

Ethiopia people, if I have left anything off my list - or if you have an super cool travel tips - please let me know.

breeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaathe




30 comments:

  1. Well, I always think writing it down gets it out of my brain, so at least you've done that. And then...I'll pray for you. Seems like you'll need supernatural assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, you are awesome! I know you don't feel like it right now, but I just talked to Jesus about you, and He thinks so too. Well, actually, He KNOWS so, so don't argue, k? Praying for you guys. Wish I lived closer so I could help. Somehow, it'll all get done and you'll soon have Bethie IN YOUR ARMS! And she'll think you're AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a little verklempt just reading this list.

    First, because I'm a list lover. "So pretty! So detailed! Sniff!" But second, because THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING!

    Thank you Jesus. Manage the lists. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that you have a "To Done" list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing so great! And just remember, whether some of that stuff gets done or not, you will soon be on a plane headed to meet your daughter for the very.first.time. :) AH! Little things like learning to use your camera (read the manual on the plane), getting new jeans and sleeping won't seem like such a big deal by then. Praying for you, your little ones and Bethie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This doesn't need to be done until you're getting ready to fly back HOME from Ethiopia, but it's great advice another mama gave me.

    In your carry-on, in addition to packing toys, snacks, books, extra outfits for Bethie, etc., pack an extra pair of pants for you, and two extra shirts. (Just in case she gets airsick, has a diaper leak, etc.) I got puked on, and was SO happy I had clean things to change into! :o)

    Few things make you feel like someone's mother like getting barfed on does . . . she will be all yours!!! Soon!!!!!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. One word: giardia.

      Read this story about my friend Sarah coming home. Oh my.

      http://sarahunderhill.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/the-trip-beyond-your-wildest-dreams/

      Delete
  7. Nancys idea was what I was going to put. Not that I have ever been blessed to bring a child home with me, but I did a lot of traveling overses for highschool misson trips (hence why I wasn't allowed to bring a child home with me...) and having clean clothes to change into made my trip so much nicer.

    I also took books, but I think you have that covered.

    Now just know that we will be praying for you the entire time you are gone and we are all expecting wonderful stories that will bring us to tears when you return. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so remember this phase! I was hyperventilating every day! So, know that what you are feeling is totally normal. The hyperventilating goes away after you've had your new child home about 7 months -- kidding, sort of.

    My big tips (you may already know these): take a lot of little packs of Kleenex (no toilet paper in most Ethiopian public bathrooms - I CANNOT drip dry, even in a 3rd world country, just CANNOT), take a big thing of hand sanitizer for your guest house room (we used it after or instead of washing our hands with the contaminated water) and then some little bottles for your bag when you are out and about -- I was amazed at how much the four of us used in just a week. Also, unless you've already sent one, take a small photo album of your family to leave for Bethie to have until you can come back for her. I made 2 identical ones and kept one at home because I knew the 1st would get lost/torn up at the care center -- it did. But, once she was home and even now, our little girl loves her "Photobook!"

    Sorry if I added things to your list. Praying for you guys and so super excited for you -- it is the most amazing experience ever -- you will never be the same!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I got your email while I was still at Target. You saved me. Thank you. Had totally forgotten about the photo album! Gonna add that to the list now.

      Delete
  9. buy Floraster probiotics online. Kids and adult versions. Start taking them before you go (3-4 days??) Floraster doesn't have to be refrigerated. Culturelle recommends fridge. None of us got sick on our trip and I say that's why..

    you can prob also pick up that adapter on ebay. so many people only use them once. just make sure it has the european connector (round pegs?) and that if you have a computer or something that has a grounding peg, it has an opening. Whoops for us - our computer needed 3 prong and one of our adapters only had 2.

    chocolate is not on your to do list. oh woman - a mini-snickers (or 8) at the end of an emotional day, sooooo sweet. we also took Ramen noodles, easy mac, pb & flat breads, lots of pb crackers for the kids as although they would eat the food, by suppertime, they would rather have American..

    on top of expedition - zip lines. ya know - stretchy thingy's with the hooks.

    just asked my oldest what he was glad we had or wish we would have - binoculars, he wished he would have packed, a nerf football he wished for, glad we had lots of snacks... make sure you take their own cameras or video. Some of our coolest shots and video were made by my boys. Especially at the orphanages, they would videotape playing with the other kids, all things I didn't see while drooling over Livvie... SOOO glad I have that video now. Brae just had a cheap Flip camera we got him for his bday off ebay. I'm sure I'll think of more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bought some other ones at Central Market that the lady said were Africa strength.

      And I'm gonna check that our laptop can use the adapter before we leave - thanks!! Adding that to the list too.

      Delete
  10. Take earplugs. it was very loud at our guesthouse at night. windows were always open. stray dogs always started fighting, mating, barking when the sun went down right outside our window. there was a baby that kept me up crying. I asked our guest house if there was another couple that had arrived with a baby. she said "no, you heard the neighbors baby crying" then you have the muslim prayers and Ethiopian Orthodox church prayers being broadcasted over the loudspeakers 7 times a day and sometimes in the middle of the night and that = bring ear plugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. I wear earplugs every night because somebody snores but I will get some for everyone else too.

      Delete
  11. Want to add something but can't add anything except prayer. God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very, very exciting! Your list is such a mix of things I can imagine and things that are *totally special* to this journey you're making.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm starting to hyperventilate just reading your list! So excited to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  14. For the done list: Change owls to adorable Christmas-themed ones. Love it. Will Be this come out of her cage soon, then?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Be this = Bethie... My tablet is trying too hard to be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Pray for a world where everyone can afford highlights" made me laugh out loud.

    So fun to follow along on this journey of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally would get my hair done before a family journey such as this. You don't have to feel weird about that. You are meeting your daughter for the first time. It is okay to look fabulous. She will look fabulous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh.my.word!The new owls are precious!! You don't know me because I don't even know how to officially "follow" a blog. I don't have a blog or an url....I think this is actually the first time I've ever even commented on a blog! Anyway, I've been checking/stalking/peeping Tomming? your blog every day for I don't even know how long, a year probably. A friend had linked to it and I was hooked. Love your posts! Just excited for you and anxious and needing my highlights done! Praying for you and this incredible journey from Tyler, TX!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Missy, I´m so happy for you that finally the miracle is about to happen. The girl who was born in your heart long time ago is there.....You don´t know me. I really enjoy your blog quite awhile and today I prayed for you driving in my car.
    Thank you for sharing love, joy and anxiety attacks;-))
    Blessings from Germany, Kathrin

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm one of those early birds that naturally wake up before the sun, so I'm going to try, try, try to remember to pray over you and your list first thing:)

    Remember, all the important stuff will get done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Missy you are always good for a smile! Praying for you during this exciting time in your life. I have never met you, but I think we are lot alike. We both have thyroid issues, same sense of humor, and use the same techniques to fall asleep - enough to bond us forever, right?

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  22. I should totally get a Roomba.

    Blessings to you all -- what an exciting time in your lives! (And hello from Houston. Our mutual friend introduced me to your blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Re: KLM... I'm assuming you're taking the Houston-Amsterdam flight? If so, I take this flight often (too often). The crews are lovely, the food is good (pizza! ice cream! snacks in the galley during non-meal times!), and be sure to tell them what you're traveling for- they might just hook you up with something! And I saw that KLM re-tweeted you! And the Amsterdam airport is awesome. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your To-Done list is very impressive! :) I can't believe we'll be following in your stressed out footsteps in just a few weeks or months!! Good luck with everything! You're on our minds daily!

    ReplyDelete
  25. And here I was thinking I was the only one crazy enough to post a picture of myself with foils on my head! Praying for you. Get back, Satan. Jesus is on the move! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my love language. Let's be friends!!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...