- Because he's taught me the magic power of two words: I'm sorry. Once shortly after our marriage I was really, really wrong. He was wrong too, my my wrongness trumped his by a long shot. Instead of arguing my point I thought I'd try swallowing my pride and my excuses and simply saying, "I'm sorry." He instantly forgave me. I couldn't believe how easy that was.
- Because he always forgives me, instantly. Even when I don't say those words.
- Because he has proven a hundred times over the past ten years that there is comedic genius in a perfectly timed fart noise when a TV or movie character bends over. The more intense the scene, the more hilarious.
- Because he loves my babies as much as I do, and he's giving them my sons and daughters alike the model for how men are to treat women.
- Because no matter how angry I am at him, I cannot not smile when he dares me not to smile. If I'm not ready to make up I have to just leave the room.
- Because he's taught me that it's better to just let him make me smile and make up.
- Because he'll try anything once and twice if he likes it, whether it's eating fried grasshoppers or adopting kids from Ethiopia.
- Because he believes in overpaying everyone who does good work for us, whether it's a waiter, a contractor, or a missionary.
- Because he never tries to change me. He loves me just because I'm his.
- Because he thinks I'm beautiful, and I know this, because he tells me almost every day.
Because ten years ago today, he made me the happiest girl in the world.
Because he still does.