Wednesday, January 23, 2013

But I will take that epidural now, thank you

Last night - well, this morning, when I took a power nap in my big ugly orange lazy boy where I keep the heating pad plugged in full time - it's heavenly y'all - I had a dream (that sounded a little MLK but really, I had a dream.) Do y'all ever have that dream where you find out you have a final exam in a class you forgot to drop and have never been to? Oh, I hate that one. Well in this one, I was wandering the halls of a hospital in a hospital gown, and the nurse said, "Okay, let's go ahead and induce you," and I was like, "What?? Today? I didn't pack a bag! Or get my nails done! And Walker is in Houston! I can't have a baby today!! I'm not ready!!"

I woke up and thought, huh, I wonder what that dream meant.

And then I, you know, figured that mystery out. Being that I was a psych minor and all. Twelve course hours. All it took.

What it meant is that I am about 8 centimeters di-a-lated and I'M NOT READY TO HAVE A BABY! AHHHHHH!

I don't have a carseat, y'all. And I still need some leggings in basic colors. And I have yet to go down the Aisle of Dread - yes, the black-girl-hair-product-what-on-earth-I've-never-felt-so-inadequate aisle. I do have, thanks to sweet friends, a ton of precious clothes. And a ton of diapers.

DIAPERS. I have DIAPERS IN MY HOUSE AGAIN.

And LITTLE BITTY PINK SHOES.

AND THERE IS A (PLACE FOR A) CRIB IN MY BEDROOM (THAT'S STILL IN THE GARAGE BECAUSE WALKER HASN'T PUT IT TOGETHER YET AND WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE MATTRESS IS NOT COVERED IN MOLD BECAUSE WE STRAPPED IT TO THE TOP OF THE EXCALIBUR AND DROVE IT BACK FROM HOUSTON IN THE RAIN AND THEN WE FORGOT TO TAKE IT DOWN FOR SEVERAL DAYS BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY WE WANTED TO IMPRESS ALL THE NEIGHBORS.)

We were submitted to Embassy yesterday. Yea! Now they have to conduct some investigations, then they will ask us to pick the dates we want to come, then they will approve the dates, then we hop on a plane. So far, still working on my timeline !yea me! with the same target date of around Valentines.
Yeah so I'm about to look for carseats on Amazon but I want to leave you with the stories of a couple of my friends who have gotten their girls this week.

First Ben and Carrie, whom we traveled to court with



and loved




are flying home RIGHT THIS MINUTE with precious Maryn! Yea!!!




Secondly, my sweet friend Michelle.  Remember when I said I unloaded three trucks full of junk stuff this summer? Michelle sold most of it in garage sales for Gracie. One woman's trash is...still pretty trashy but I'm glad she got some cash for it! Cash for trash, baby. Michelle is over in Bulgaria picking up Gracie, who has Down Syndrome. And they had a horrible bump - when she and her husband and 13 year old daughter were boarding in Frankfort, they wouldn't let her daughter on because her passport expired in May and they said it couldn't expire within the next three months  - ?? Then what's the point of expiration dates?? Michelle had to go on to Bulgaria and leave them there for three long days till the consulate reopened - such a bummer! But they are together now!



Two beautiful baby girls have families tonight, and two beautiful families have new baby girls.

Could you ask for
better bedtime stories that that?

18 comments:

  1. So sweet. So, so sweet! Ack! I can't believe it's going to be so soooooooooooooooooon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I tried to leave a comment on the mobile phone version, but it wouldn't let me. So I got out of bed (it's been a long, stressful day and I don't have kids so I can go to bed at 8) and came back to the computer to comment, so, I want extra comment points. :-)
    2. HOORAY FOR TINY PINK SHOES!!!!!
    3. Less hooray for diapers, obviously. Except that means she's getting close, so HOORAY!!!!
    4. "Excalibur"? I love the name for it. And I seriously hope your neighbors were properly impressed. If not, I have a Cousin Eddie that I'm totally willing to send your way for a long weekend.
    5. If I were there, I'd totally go down that aisle with you. I'd be clueless, but I'd be there with you. Is Nigerian hair similar? If so, I've got a lot of friends from Nigeria (no, really, not just that one Prince who keeps emailing me) who might be persuaded to giving tips as they all think Bethie is about the cutest thing they've ever seen.
    6. I just blogged about the forgotten final dream the other day! Great minds, or something... I still have that dream, and also have vivid, screaming nightmares and have had them every night (unless medicated with no-foolin' stuff) since the night before law school graduation. I'm choosing to believe that was a mere coincidence and not a harbinger. I hope and pray for all of your sake that Miss Bethie doesn't have nightmares like mine. If she does, talk to pediatrician. As a 34 year old, I am on clonazepam (just at night...no worries about competency DUE TO THAT...) and also a really old, first generation blood pressure medicine called Praezol (praezosin) in a very low dose that has been proven to help with PTSD and nightmares. Been great ever since unless I forget to get my rx refilled. I don't know how you feel about medicating your new child, though, with a controlled substance and a drug commonly prescribed to the elderly and/or victims of trauma. I hear that mamas prefer not to do that unless necessary. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-and the expiration date thing is an Eastern Bloc thing. I had the same thing when I went to the Motherland and had to Fedex my passport across the country, literally, four times to coordinate the renewal and then submitting the visa request in with the batch of the rest of my colleagues. The official line is "they don't want you to skate in there just under the wire on your passport and then decide to stay". Which makes a little sense because not only the passport but also the Visa governs how long you stay, where you can go, and how many times you can leave and re-enter the country, so if there is a discrepancy on the dates and the Visa expires after the passport expires, you'd have to go through their court system. Having studied (and done extremely well on an exam) the court system in the Motherland, I would sooner allow a toddler to extract my teeth than have to navigate their court system. I think the unstated reason for the expiration date rule is because the State Department needs the cash. (Because I just don't see anybody deciding to risk the wrath of Putin and overstaying their visa for the allure of the delicacy known as kvass...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually very common in many countries. That's unfortunate that this happened to them, but I'm a bit surprised they wouldn't have checked all that out before traveling.

      Delete
  4. have you gone to chocolatehairvanilllacare.com yet? SO MUCH great information. My favorite posts are the styles that can you can do on both chocolate and vanilla girls, and might be helpful to you, as Bethie and her sisters might want to match :) It's been a great resource for us. CANNOT wait til Bethie is home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the black-girl-hair-product-what-on-earth-I've-never-felt-so-inadequate aisle --- hahahahahaha. I perused said aisle just last night at WalMart. and left empty handed, I'd rather walk into Sally's Beauty and have a gorgeously made up black girl just tell me what to buy. Worked so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate Hair, Vanilla Care -- I second it! And I'm so thrilled for your friends . . . and for YOU, soon-to-travel mama!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uuuuuuugh.... That last picture.... Of your friend holding her new (sleeping) girl.

    Swoon.

    That makes me want to adopt. Funny thing is.. My husband and I have the money to. Now I just need God to place a fire in my heart for it.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that last pic makes my heart hurt... I can't imagine my sweet baby girl not having Mommy to snuggle into. Great bedtime stories Missy, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missy, we have three biological children and adopted two sisters from foster care. One was with us from birth and one as a 2, almost 3 year old. My favorite links for hair are youtube and www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com. Don't get overwhelmed by the amazing amounts of info. They do step-by-step everything and they recommend products. Their facebook page is a great place to post a question.
    On a side note, our littlest is named Maryn and it is spelled the same way...not too common. Good luck to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I felt like that last post was something out of my own head (especially since it was born in a big ugly chair with a heating pad-nice to know someone closer to the equator than me shares the same heating pad obsession). Having had 3 kids in 3 years who are now almost all teenagers and now adopting a 14 mos old from Ethiopia, I'm like... Oh yeh, crib, diapers, car seat, outlet covers... not check!... and what about the stairs, didn't have those before... oh so good! God has a sense of humor for sure. Enjoying watching you make this journey a few miles up the road from us!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh. Blinking tears. I love adoption stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I HATE that dream about the final exam for the class that I've dropped and never attended. But heart-warming adoption stories? Love those.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ALWAYS LOVE hearing those kinds of stories!!!!

    Oh and by the way....when I dream of being pregnant, which is physically impossible- it usually means we will be adopting again soon.....so as you can imagine- I LOVE THAT DREAM!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Just around the corner and the epidural is so good. Finally!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my love language. Let's be friends!!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...