Sunday, January 20, 2013

What I'm Into - January

Walker took Shep hunting for the first time this weekend. Shep was surrounded by MEN and GUNS and GUTS and  ARROWS. He ate the heart of a deer, y'all. Just -- whatever. He was in paradise. And I was in paradise in my cozy bed. Because






Books I'm Reading:

Y'all know I'm reading this one:



Down 5 pounds so far. And I'm really excited because Lyn-Genet offered to consult with me. Yea! It is hard for a rule breaker like me to follow The Plan to a T - but I've repented. Can't wait to see how it helps!





Parenting from the Inside Out by Daniel Siege

He also wrote The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind which I haven't read but hear is great.

This book was recommended to us at the seminar on attachment we went to, but it is in no way just for adoptive parents. If you are fascinated by psychology like me, you'll love it.  The goal is to help you understand the events from your past that influence your parenting. If you've ever wondered why certain things your kids do set you off in a special way (for me, it's backtalk), this book will help explain it. And then you'll discipline out of the present, not the past.  Bonus: you'll get to analyze your husband too and your parents too and and and...





Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child

Well, if you are not parenting an internationally adopted child, then this might not appeal to you. It is really good though.

Speaking of, this is a great link called Supporting and Understanding the Adopted Family. Pssst - it's a great link to send to grandparents.


TV I'm Watching:

After we finished Breaking Bad on Netflix I became an honorary Braverman, which means I began to make ridiculous decisions about all aspects of my life, by watching Parenthood. I'm finished with season 3 and I want to watch season 4, but it's $30 to buy. I'm scared the minute I do, it'll come out on Netflix. Plus, I don't know if I should by from Amazon, so I can only watch it on our big TV, or iTunes, and only be able to watch it in the bedroom. It's a completely agonizing decision which ranks very high on the First World Problems List, y'all. Please start a prayer chain.

I need a new Netflix to start. Was thinking maybe Friday Night Lights, since I seem to be the only person on the planet who has never seen it. Any other ideas?

How happy are we that Downton Abbey is back?!? (I'm a composite of Mary and Sybil. I am NOT Edith.)


Expensive Things I'm Shopping for:

My Canon Rebel camera was stolen from my luggage somewhere between Addis Ababa and Houston. If you've read my blog long enough, you'll know that I lose/have a camera stolen about once a year, but never one this expensive. I'm so aggravated I can't even talk about it. Blessedly I had downloaded all my pictures before we left. So now I am trying to choose another camera. A cheaper one.

Yummy Things I Was Cooking:


Before I started The Plan I made cream of mushroom soup and the entire family was licking the pot. Mmmmmm. 

Ways Blogger Is Irritating Me Tonight:

It won't let me center The Plan and it keeps arbitrarily turning my font blue. %&@&


Crazy Thing We're Up To Because Bringing a Kid Home From Africa Isn't Exciting or Busy Enough:
House hunting. Hold me.

I leave you with some linkage:

My dear friend Megan at SortaCrunchy is entering her 33rd week of carrying two identical man-childs. So fun! For us. For her, so big! So uncomfortable! So tired!  But so blessed!

Bring Blogging Back did get me reminiscing about the old days of blogging

Anne has a great response to Sandy Hook that could only be called Christians, Don't Say Dumb, Offensive Stuff

Another great response to Sandy Hook. Randy Alcorn always nails it beautifully. Why Doesn't God Do More to Restrain Evil and Suffering?  

When Your Child Says "There's Nothing to Do" by Susan Yates, who wrote one of my favorite parenting books ever: And Then I Had Kids


Loved (and cried through) this one Pictures Can Lie

Meg did a fantastic series called Ten Ways to Encourage a Global Perspective in Your Kids


What are you up to?






 
 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...